Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of WiFi - but can anyone explain what's happening?

My ROuter (COmcast) is on opposite side of house from my MacBook. The speed at the ROuter is usually around 240. At my computer, it is only around 50. When I have service at all! Right now, as often happens, I have no WiFi service on my computer. However, if I put my iPhone right next to the computer & run speedtest on both devices using the same network, the phone shows around 50, and the computer shows No Internet Connection. If I switch networks to use an Apple Mini Router that is a few feet from my computer, I get Internet service, but at a speed of only around 10.

Then, most likely, in a few minutes, or possibly hours, I'll have WiFi service on my computer again using my home network.

Sorry for long-winded explanation, but WHAT THE HECK COULD BE CAUSING THIS WEIRD BEHAVIOR?

THANK YOU!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 3:20 PM

gwesq Said:

"Loss of WiFi - but can anyone explain what's happening?: My ROuter (COmcast) is on opposite side of house from my MacBook. The speed at the ROuter is usually around 240. At my computer, it is only around 50. When I have service at all! Right as often happens, I have no WiFi service on my computer.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install.

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2021 3:20 PM in response to gwesq

gwesq Said:

"Loss of WiFi - but can anyone explain what's happening?: My ROuter (COmcast) is on opposite side of house from my MacBook. The speed at the ROuter is usually around 240. At my computer, it is only around 50. When I have service at all! Right as often happens, I have no WiFi service on my computer.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac Wi-Fi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

[Hold Down: shift key, upon boot], In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install.

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

V. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Networking) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

Sep 9, 2021 6:01 PM in response to gwesq

gwesq Said:

"Loss of WiFi - but can anyone explain what's happening?: Well, Thanks, but - 1-3 didn't solve the problem. 4 & 5 are way above my "pay grade" - or actually way below my age."

-------

You are welcome.

IV. How to create a new Administrator User:

1. Go Here: Set Up Users, Guests, and Groups on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Add a user
  3. Read: Administrator on step 3
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

V. Setting SMC and NVRAM:

Perform as I mentioned my above reply.

Loss of WiFi - but can anyone explain what's happening?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.