Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi internet sharing disconnects

Hi, I saw this question in old systems, but it's making me crazy and can't find a solution.

I'm sharing my ethernet connection from my iMac (High Sierra) using internet sharing with wifi, mostly to my phone (normal wifi is very weak in this spot of the house).

But every few minutes the sharing stops and it's just the grey wifi icon. I have to turn it off and then on to restart the sharing, or get in to control panels and re-share.

Any idea why that happens?

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 4:59 PM

Also, a test...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2021 4:59 PM in response to dodopurpura

Also, a test...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Sep 8, 2021 4:35 PM in response to dodopurpura

Are you turning it ON/OFF on the Phone or the Mac?

If the KMac might try this...

RichardFoo User level: Level 1 (4 points)

Feb 15, 2019 4:24 PM in response to TimsTech

I've been debugging a problem with my VPN client constantly reconnecting, along with poor WiFi performance. After much digging, I came across an excellent article - although written for Yosemite and iOS8, it still seems to be relevant to Mojave, especially with a newer WiFi chip in the 2018 MacBook Pro. https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifriedx-in-depth-look-at-yosemite-wifi-and-awdl-airdrop-41a93eb22e48

The author wrote a program that essentially just issues a command and keeps it enforced. You can try it manually in a terminal window: sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

To reverse the command, type: sudo ifconfig awdl0 up

Sep 8, 2021 4:52 PM in response to BDAqua

The phone is always on. The mac now too, is not getting to sleep (only the screen).

Wifi in the mac is always on. It's just like the sharing stops from one moment to another, while the wifi is still on and not configuration has been touched.

To restart the sharing I need to turn off and then on the wifi, and when it restarts the sharing is working again.

I'll take a look at the link, thanks.

wifi internet sharing disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.