Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Commands not working (can't get to Startup Manager)

Hi,

I have a 2013 Macbook Pro. I wiped all the drive contents

and have an external drive loaded with the Sierra OS so I can reinstall it.

When I boot the Mac, despite using all the possible commands

I either get the Internet Install option (which eventually results in an

error), or a blinking folder with a ‘?’. I can not get to the startup manager screen

from which you can usually choose to reinstall the OS.

I have used all the combinations of keys that are held down

and resetting NVRAM etc:

• Power up and hold power button
  • Power up and hold option
  • Power up and command+R

Any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 8, 2021 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 6:22 AM

You can try using an external USB keyboard to see if you can then Option Boot the laptop in case there is an issue with the built-in keyboard. I have seen a few Apple laptops with a Logic Board failure where keys may work while booted into macOS, but may not work during the startup process (or even the other way around).

You can also just install macOS from Internet Recovery Mode. In theory if you use Command + R it should present you with the online installer for the most recent OS you were using on the laptop. Otherwise you can install Catalina/Big Sur (depends if you have the early or late model) using Command + Option + R. If you need an OS before Catalina/Big Sur, then boot using Command + Option + Shift + R to boot the installer for the OS which shipped from the factory on this laptop. Of course if there is an issue with the built-in Keyboard or the Logic Board, then these other Internet Recovery Mode options may not work. Plus these options don't always work correctly as sometimes a Mac will only boot to the installer for the original OS.

Also in theory if there is no OS at all on the internal SSD, then the laptop should automatically boot to the USB boot drive (assuming it is a valid macOS boot drive and was correctly created) if no internal boot volumes are found (especially if the PRAM Reset worked).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2021 6:22 AM in response to Silvertreetops

You can try using an external USB keyboard to see if you can then Option Boot the laptop in case there is an issue with the built-in keyboard. I have seen a few Apple laptops with a Logic Board failure where keys may work while booted into macOS, but may not work during the startup process (or even the other way around).

You can also just install macOS from Internet Recovery Mode. In theory if you use Command + R it should present you with the online installer for the most recent OS you were using on the laptop. Otherwise you can install Catalina/Big Sur (depends if you have the early or late model) using Command + Option + R. If you need an OS before Catalina/Big Sur, then boot using Command + Option + Shift + R to boot the installer for the OS which shipped from the factory on this laptop. Of course if there is an issue with the built-in Keyboard or the Logic Board, then these other Internet Recovery Mode options may not work. Plus these options don't always work correctly as sometimes a Mac will only boot to the installer for the original OS.

Also in theory if there is no OS at all on the internal SSD, then the laptop should automatically boot to the USB boot drive (assuming it is a valid macOS boot drive and was correctly created) if no internal boot volumes are found (especially if the PRAM Reset worked).

Boot Commands not working (can't get to Startup Manager)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.