You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur Download Issue

Yes, I am trying to download MacOS Big Sur to upgrade my iMac from High Sierra, but it doesn't seem to be working, I click on "Download" in the App Store, and it greys out but nothing downloads even after several tries, and restarts. I've already tried letting it download on my super fast fiber internet connection for over 30 minutes two different times yesterday, and the file download gets stuck at 491kb. 

My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) is compatible with super fast fiber internet (985 Mbsp download speed) , and there is plenty of storage room left (over 500 GB).

I also tried deleting the un-fully downloaded 491kb Big Sur file, and trying to download it again through the App Store, but it gets stalled almost immediately and stops downloading, at that same 491kb size. I also left it all night to see if it started downloading, but it didn't.

And, I tried re-downloading it again this morning in case it was a temporary bug yesterday, but had the same exact results, it stalled after downloading just 491kb. I suspect the App Store Big Sur file may be corrupted. Let me know if you have a suggestion or solution, thanks!

Perhaps the MacOS Big Sur download file in the App Store currently is corrupt?

Is anyone else having this download issue?

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 9, 2021 7:35 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 9, 2021 7:42 AM in response to idelle

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Any of the above will also interfere with the download process and or Stop the process altogether.

Sep 9, 2021 1:46 PM in response to idelle

If this upgrade is for Big Sur 11.5.2 the error message can be misleading.

There are factors like poor Wifi connection, slow wifi connection, too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded.

Software on the computer interfering with the download process including running behind a VPN and or / if via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to you computer.

Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

There are several ways to download the Full Big Sur Installer11.5.2.

1 - Connect to Router via Ethernet connection and restart the computer in Safe Mode.

Using ONLY Safari as Others may not work - follow the link in this >>> Apple Site <<< to commence the Big Sur Download. It will download the Full Big Sur Installer - about 12.24 GB.

2 - This method may seem unnecessary but sometimes the Router Restart clears Network issues from ISP to Apple Servers

Shutdown Router. Shutdown computer and disconnect all External Drives. Restart Router. Connect to Router via Ethernet Cable. If via Wifi - Disconnect all other Devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum Bandwidth only for this computer. Restart computer in  Safe Mode. It does a Repair Disk, Clear System Cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and Fonts. Will load slowly - Normal. Once Logged in - proceed as per pervious outlined.

It will take some time and several pauses will occur - normal. Countdown clock may say 15 minutes but in Real time may be 30 minutes.

Same goes for clock at 10 minutes could be 20 minutes in Real time. Eventually , Full Installer will download and a New Application in Applications Folder will present called Install Big Sur.

Stop there and perform a Time Machine Backup. If desired - have an External Drive - Copy & Paste the Install Big Sur Application to external drive for future usage - making a Bootable Installer.

Now run the Installer.

MacOS Big Sur Download Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.