Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting electric shocked when charging iPad

Hi there, I don't believe it's normal to be getting electric shocked when I'm charging my iPad - granted, it's about four-five years old, but the electric shocks are painful. The charger is new, and perfectly fine, so I believe it has something to do with my iPad - is there anything I can do to help with this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 7:20 AM

A you using an Apple Power Adapter - obtained from Apple - or a third-party charger?

Be aware that there are many aftermarket chargers of very poor quality - and a good many counterfeit chargers that look very similar to the original Apple Power Adapters. Given the relative cost of an iPad, it is truly false economy to substitute a cheap third-party charger.

If you do have an Apple Power Adapter, you would be well advised to take it along with your iPad and charging cable to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to examine, test and assess your kit for safety:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 7:20 AM in response to rnrnbun

A you using an Apple Power Adapter - obtained from Apple - or a third-party charger?

Be aware that there are many aftermarket chargers of very poor quality - and a good many counterfeit chargers that look very similar to the original Apple Power Adapters. Given the relative cost of an iPad, it is truly false economy to substitute a cheap third-party charger.

If you do have an Apple Power Adapter, you would be well advised to take it along with your iPad and charging cable to the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store - where the technicians will be able to examine, test and assess your kit for safety:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 10, 2021 4:50 AM in response to rnrnbun

no it's not normal

these devices only charge with 5volts

if you ever for fun have put a 9volt battery to your tongue you've noticed a slight tingle electrocution, that being on a weat body part where the current could run easier then your hands

it could be that your ac charger is leaking 110volt AC / 230volt AC out into the cable somehow if so then this is not safe and could cause a fire or the likes,.

Getting electric shocked when charging iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.