Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best value for money graphics card for 2010 Mac Pro

Hi all,

Unfortunately the specifications of graphics cards, and which is best value for money is a bit over head 😂 I have recently acquired a 2010 Mac Pro, I want it to take the place of an editing rig and give me the power to speed up 4K editing workflows. What's my best option for value for money?

I know that Mojave gives support to a wider range of cards, but ideally for backwards compatibility I'd love to keep the Mac Pro at High Sierra, and work around cards compatible with that OS. Unless I'm really losing performance opportunities, in which case I'll stick to the Mojave cards.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 2:18 PM

hi, applefanAidyn, maybe i can help you? your Mac Pro can go as far as Mojave( officially, anyways*) and so a good value for money graphics card would be a Radeon HD 7950. ( as a basic starter/backup/spare card) you can use Mac native and Mac flashed cards,( cards flashed to work on Mac) both would work fine.. i got one from eBay( Mac flashed? which has about 6 GB of vram-- not too shabby ! and i paid $300 CDN including shipping.. here's a link to the official list that Apple has for graphics cards that support Mojave and Metal: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239.. any one of those cards would be fine.. you might wanna check out xlr8yourmac.com and greg gant's guide to upgrading your mac pro ( at greggant.com) . please bear in mind that the more "high end" cards eg the Radeon VII , vega 56,64 and Frontier Edition will require the Pixlas Mod to work. do not try to install or use these cards i mentioned in your Mac Pro without the Pixlas Mod. if you do,you WILL fry your Mac Pro. Period. which is Bad. so go to houseofmoth. com for Pixlas Mod info and a few videos on Youtube ( look for "pixlas mod Mac Pro") . also be advised that prices for high end graphics cards right now are nuts. --and supply is somewhat short. in time, in the future, that may get better and prices may get a bit more sane and reasonable.. and supply may get better.. but it'll take time and patience... lots of each .

so thats what i got

good luck

john B

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 2:18 PM in response to applefanAidyn

hi, applefanAidyn, maybe i can help you? your Mac Pro can go as far as Mojave( officially, anyways*) and so a good value for money graphics card would be a Radeon HD 7950. ( as a basic starter/backup/spare card) you can use Mac native and Mac flashed cards,( cards flashed to work on Mac) both would work fine.. i got one from eBay( Mac flashed? which has about 6 GB of vram-- not too shabby ! and i paid $300 CDN including shipping.. here's a link to the official list that Apple has for graphics cards that support Mojave and Metal: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202239.. any one of those cards would be fine.. you might wanna check out xlr8yourmac.com and greg gant's guide to upgrading your mac pro ( at greggant.com) . please bear in mind that the more "high end" cards eg the Radeon VII , vega 56,64 and Frontier Edition will require the Pixlas Mod to work. do not try to install or use these cards i mentioned in your Mac Pro without the Pixlas Mod. if you do,you WILL fry your Mac Pro. Period. which is Bad. so go to houseofmoth. com for Pixlas Mod info and a few videos on Youtube ( look for "pixlas mod Mac Pro") . also be advised that prices for high end graphics cards right now are nuts. --and supply is somewhat short. in time, in the future, that may get better and prices may get a bit more sane and reasonable.. and supply may get better.. but it'll take time and patience... lots of each .

so thats what i got

good luck

john B

Best value for money graphics card for 2010 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.