You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Japanese Keyboard

Hello, I am in the market for a new macbook pro.

I have been offered one with a Japanese keyboard and the option of using an english keyboard cover.

I want to know if this is a good option.

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 5:16 AM

7 replies

Sep 10, 2021 6:46 AM in response to regulator9000

The cover does not appear to change anything. Everything on the cover is already on the original keyboard, isn't it?

Most people not used to the Japanese version would find the small space bar and the shape of the return key difficult to get used to. Plus the absence of a key to the left of the ONE key.

You should also consider whether a cover could cause any problem with the closing the laptop or possible damage to the screen.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203671

Sep 10, 2021 5:36 AM in response to regulator9000

regulator9000 wrote:

Hello, I am in the market for a new macbook pro.
I have been offered one with a Japanese keyboard and the option of using an english keyboard cover.
I want to know if this is a good option.

If you do not type in Japanese, I would not recommend it. The Japanese JIS keyboard is fundamentally different from the ISO or ANSI keyboards normally used for English. Have a look at them here

https://www.topteksystem.com/blog/apple-tutorials/identifying-keyboard-localization/

It's not clear to me how a "cover" would make up for this.

Of course there is no technical problem typing English on a Japanese or any of the other keyboards.

Sep 10, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for the prompt and very helpful replies.

I had noticed the issues you mentioned. I think I would be able to handle the smaller space bar and the lack of a key next to the 1.

I guess the cover was just aesthetic. I had not considered the issue of damaging the screen.

I guess my question ultimately is 'would you consider this option"

Japanese Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.