Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remap the "option" right key to type question mark (?) and slash (/) as in the Brazilian new standard keyboard ABNT2?

I'd like to remap the Mac option right key so that it works like in the picture.

This is the latest Brazilian keyboard, with the question mark (?) and slash (/) in the same position as the option key to the right.

When I change the Mac keyboard settings to Brazilian ABNT2, it only gives me the option to type as in ISO keyboard, I have to use shortcuts for the question mark and slash (option + Q and W).

In the traditional Brazilian keyboard (ABNT2), the "shift" is diminished to make room for an extra key (? /).

But it looks like manufactures are not making a special keyboard with an extra key just for the Brazilian market and moved the question mark and slash to the right "Win" ("option" in Mac) as in the first picture.

What happened is that I bought my Mac in Italy, there is no way to type in Portuguese with an Italian ISO keyboard. I had to buy these stickers, there is one for (? /) that I could put on the option key... but I'd have to find a way to make it work like that.

Thanks if you can help!

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 8:28 AM

You should have no problem typing Portuguese with the Italian layout. The tilde characters can be made via Option n and then the base letter, etc.

To remap the option key you check if Karabiner can do that

https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org

2 replies

Sep 10, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you so much!!! You solved my problem. 😊

It was easy, but it took me some time. I guess that when using the keyboard setting with Brazilian ABNT2 with an Italian keyboard, the list of keys in Karabiner were all messed up, they didn't correspond to the real keys. I had to do a blind test on everything in the list until I could find (/?).

For those who need it, the key (/?) corresponds to "International1" in the list.

_________

But believe me, it's **** to type in Portuguese with an Italian keyboard 😂... in fact, it's not even well-designed to type in Italian! I've seen some people asking for a reform. It's impossible to "accentuate" some letters, including all letters in upper case. You can't easily type ÀÈÌÒÙÁÉÍÓÚÂÊÃÕ... with an Italian layout, which is a big design flaw, since many letters in Italian and other Romance languages have lots of these accents. Italians write CAFFè or CAFFE' because you can't type "CAFFÈ" (which is easy with a Brazilian layout), you can't start a sentence with "È" (is), which is so fundamental in Italian! It's funny, even in official documents, I've seen them writing "CITTà" (city) because they don't know how to write CITTÀ. There are also other letters in Portuguese êáíÊÇ... which require a cumbersome combination. I've been using these shortcuts provisionally, but even if you get used, it slows down the typing too much. The Brazilian keyboard is more international, you can easily type in Italian, Spanish, French, German, English.... without any workarounds.

Anyway, thanks again! That was very helpful!

How to remap the "option" right key to type question mark (?) and slash (/) as in the Brazilian new standard keyboard ABNT2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.