Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not syncing to devices from Mac using iCloud Photos

Apparently this is a big issue, seeing the number of similar posts here. Using iPhone 12 Pro, Mini M1, Big Sur, all up to date. Photos did auto move from the phone to the Mac once. moving over a lot of stuff before I culled.. iCloud refuses to update the phone and my iPad when I make changes to content within Photos on Mac. I've since created the photo library I want on the Mac and an afraid it will get ruined when it does connect because the iPhone photos are different and not how I want the library to be. How can I simply get the devices to look like the Mac without the sync process altering the Mac content? What a confusing mess......

iPad mini 3, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 9:20 AM

If you created your Mac library to have everything you need (implied from your post), disconnect your other devices from iCloud. Then you can do anything you want to those devices delete pictures, etc. When you turn it back on, the devices will sync with your Mac library in the cloud as new. I've done this a number of times with no issue. But, you've also made a backup of your library (just in case).

If that's not the case, you'll need to move the images off of the devices first, put them where you want on your Mac, and let those sync. The idea is to create one primary library (on your Mac).

If your devices aren't synchronized, check your storage limit in the cloud.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 9:20 AM in response to JG Here

If you created your Mac library to have everything you need (implied from your post), disconnect your other devices from iCloud. Then you can do anything you want to those devices delete pictures, etc. When you turn it back on, the devices will sync with your Mac library in the cloud as new. I've done this a number of times with no issue. But, you've also made a backup of your library (just in case).

If that's not the case, you'll need to move the images off of the devices first, put them where you want on your Mac, and let those sync. The idea is to create one primary library (on your Mac).

If your devices aren't synchronized, check your storage limit in the cloud.

Sep 10, 2021 9:01 AM in response to JG Here

Never experienced any issue, know some folks have if they are out of space.

Have a backup of your Mac photos (just in case)

Turn off iCloud photos on your devices. (Settings > Photos)

Delete the pictures from your devices

Ensure that your Mac photo album is enabled for iCloud (Photos > Preferences > iCloud)

Ensure that your Mac library is the system library (Photos > Preferences > General)

Turn iCloud photos back on on your devices. You may want to optimize storage too. (Settings > Photos)

Sep 10, 2021 9:36 AM in response to muguy

Thanks muguy. I agree with most of what you say. Problem is that the sync is not working. If it was, then the devices would have been syncing all along as I was editing the photos on the iMac. And I don't see a backup option in Photos. Only Export, which saves a folder with all the photos. Perhaps I can simply copy the Photos folder from the Mac?

Sep 10, 2021 12:22 PM in response to JG Here

Update: After all these days of trying, Apple finally sends me a message that I have 8GB left on my plan. Well, that's enough to do the job. But the sync has been paused most of the day, not by me. So I upgraded my plan with lots more storage and the sync seems to resume. But after about a third of it is complete is simply stops downloading anything even though it is not paused. So I try to pause it and then resume it to see if it is still alive. If I pause it says it will resume tonight. Well how about resuming now?? Who comes up with this stuff?

Photos not syncing to devices from Mac using iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.