Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview won't save changes to image size

I've tried "Tools" then "Adjust Size" and now the file is getting larger! I've also tried "File" then "Export" and changing the size from there, it shows the new size, but doesn't save it. I've duplicated the file repeatedly, in hopes that the changes would save on one of the copies, but no luck there either.

Has anyone found a way to make this work?

PS I've tried to upload the photo I am trying to edit, but get an error message saying "File size exceeds 5MB!" I know that, that's what I am trying to change!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 3:16 PM

Weirdly, Resample image is selected. I finally figured out what to do; I had to keep changing the width and the height of the image until the image size was so small I was sure it would look like a postage stamp, then it finally saved as small enough.

Whew this has been a journey.

So, to recap for anyone else having the same trouble;

Tools 👉 Adjust Size 👉Choose smaller width and height parameters than the current file (ignore "Resulting Size" at the bottom of the window, it's a lie, it doesn't indicate the actual final file size based on the parameters you have selected in the same window) 👉OK 👉File 👉Save 👉Quality 👉(select JPEG, and for example 1.3MB, this won't be the final file size, why? I have no idea!) Save

Then when you close and reopen your photo, it should have saved to a smaller size, at least below the common web threshold of 5MB, which is often the goal.

I hope my struggles and ultimate triumph have helped.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2021 3:16 PM in response to dialabrain

Weirdly, Resample image is selected. I finally figured out what to do; I had to keep changing the width and the height of the image until the image size was so small I was sure it would look like a postage stamp, then it finally saved as small enough.

Whew this has been a journey.

So, to recap for anyone else having the same trouble;

Tools 👉 Adjust Size 👉Choose smaller width and height parameters than the current file (ignore "Resulting Size" at the bottom of the window, it's a lie, it doesn't indicate the actual final file size based on the parameters you have selected in the same window) 👉OK 👉File 👉Save 👉Quality 👉(select JPEG, and for example 1.3MB, this won't be the final file size, why? I have no idea!) Save

Then when you close and reopen your photo, it should have saved to a smaller size, at least below the common web threshold of 5MB, which is often the goal.

I hope my struggles and ultimate triumph have helped.

Preview won't save changes to image size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.