Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview app automatically saving changes?

I think this wasn't the default behavior, but since I rarely use Preview to work with images (I do it with Photoshop), let me know if this has always been like this or if something else is happening:

I had a 3000 by 3000 image. I then adjusted the size to 100 by 100 inside Preview.

Without even hitting SAVE, the image in Finder was automatically updated to that size, so if I then close Preview, there's no way for me to undo those changes.

It makes no sense that the resize is applied without the user agreeing to those changes before committing to them.

Is this the normal behavior and has been for years and I'm just noticing it?

Is this a bug?

Is it a feature I can change?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 18, 2022 6:27 AM

13 replies

Jun 22, 2022 1:59 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Ok, now we're talking!!! :)

Thanks for this. I don't know if this is unchecked by default, but it makes no sense if it isn't...

To be honest, I don't even know why this is a feature in the first place. Every app I know behaves that way: made changes and haven't saved? Show a warning. Simple. Why does Apple spend time even considering this kind of feature anyway?

Really appreciate your time and help. I was going crazy with this!

Jun 22, 2022 1:49 AM in response to tiagorocha

FWIW, I resented this change when it appeared over a decade ago, but then came to embrace it.

You can always revert, you know?

File->Revert to->Browse All Versions

even without having used Time Machine in the interim.

I don't have my Time Machine drive connected this morning.

I deliberately added an annotation to the image I posted above, then did File->Revert to->Browse All Versions:

Jun 18, 2022 8:58 AM in response to tiagorocha

Apple's Preview has had autosave for several iterations of macOS over the years. And your adjusting a current image in Preview will automatically apply those changes to the current image, even if the image icon on the Desktop does not appear to change.

Initially, I performed a Get Info window on a 300 dpi 512x512 PNG (copy) on my Desktop. Then I opened it in Preview, selected Tools > Adjust Size, and with Scale proportionally and Resample image selected, set the image dimensions to 256, and clicked OK to make the change. Though I observed no visual PNG icon change on the Desktop, the Get Info image dimensions immediately changed from 512x512 to 256x256 when I clicked OK on that Adjust Size panel.

Using macOS 12.4 on a 2021 16-in MBP M1 Pro.

The moral from this is that you change copies of original images in Preview, and now, use /Applications/Time Machijne to restore the original image.

Jun 22, 2022 2:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I didn't know about the Revert feature. I never used it, especially because this is not a global feature. For example, when I'm using Photoshop, I don't have that option, because the app works different and I rather have a workflow that's consistent instead of having apps that behave this way and then others that behave that way.

But it's good to know that those 2 options exist, thought. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this :)

Preview app automatically saving changes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.