Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a similar problem with backing up my MacBook Pro to an external drive

My problem is similar to those whose MBPs are stuck at "Preparing Backup". Mine is not stuck there but is stuck at another point, at which it's been for the last hour or so. It's at 95% of completion, but is stuck on that last 5% for some reason. Wonder if restarting the computer with the external drive plugged in (as suggested by some) would solve it?

Posted on Sep 10, 2021 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 6:55 AM

arlington007 wrote:

My problem is similar to those whose MBPs are stuck at "Preparing Backup". Mine is not stuck there but is stuck at another point, at which it's been for the last hour or so. It's at 95% of completion, but is stuck on that last 5% for some reason. Wonder if restarting the computer with the external drive plugged in (as suggested by some) would solve it?

There is only one way to find out...

If the drive is near full— general house cleaning as the TM consolidates and purges old backups—can take some time.

Trouble Shooting—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2021 6:55 AM in response to arlington007

arlington007 wrote:

There is only one way to find out...

If the drive is near full— general house cleaning as the TM consolidates and purges old backups—can take some time.

Trouble Shooting—

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

I have a similar problem with backing up my MacBook Pro to an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.