Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Failed back ups with Time Machine

I have a 2015 Macbook Pro, on trying to back up using Time Machine it seems to start backing up and then quits each time before completing, any ideas please? See attached screenshots which shows how far it got before closing with 12 minutes to go, also it is not registering, last back up recorded Feb 23.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 18, 2023 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2023 6:58 AM

hootboot wrote:

It all sounds very complicated even though when Apple tell you the benefits of Time Machine none of this is mentioned and unless you really get involved in how all this works you would have no idea.

That is sort of why these Apple Forums exist, to flesh out some of the unanswered questions.

You assume just connect an external hard drive and forget it, it'll continue in the background, no problem. I think I may just muddle through it and thank you for your help.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2023 6:58 AM in response to hootboot

hootboot wrote:

It all sounds very complicated even though when Apple tell you the benefits of Time Machine none of this is mentioned and unless you really get involved in how all this works you would have no idea.

That is sort of why these Apple Forums exist, to flesh out some of the unanswered questions.

You assume just connect an external hard drive and forget it, it'll continue in the background, no problem. I think I may just muddle through it and thank you for your help.

Jul 19, 2023 1:25 AM in response to hootboot

hootboot wrote:

Hi, Thanks for your response. My external drive is 1TB mac journaled with only around 84GB free and my Macbook has about 4GB free of 256GB . I thought Time Machine erased old back ups to make room?

It is my opinion that the Issue is not so much the Empty Space on the Time Machine Backup Drive

But the issue is more that there is Not Enough Empty Space on the Internal Drive

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac.  

Often caused if the Time Machine Drive has not been attached  to the computer and TM Backup is set to run on a Schedule. 

TM Backup will make Snap Shot on the Internal Drive awaiting the TM Backup Drive to be attached. 

Only then will the Snaps Shots be transferred to the External Drive and deleted the Internal Drive.

Jul 19, 2023 2:07 AM in response to hootboot

Just as an "Add On " for good stewardship ( management ) of the Internal Drive

It is generally a good computer practice to alway keep at least 15% to 20% of the Total Drive Capacity’s as Empty Space.

Allowing the computer to drop below these guidelines may eventually cause unintended consequences including what is being experienced presently on this computer.

If left unattended to - the computer may eventually cease to Boot Up at All

Jul 19, 2023 2:21 AM in response to hootboot

hootboot wrote:

Destination drive is a 2TB Omega hard drive partitioned into three, there is approx 3.5 GB free space on my Mac.

Sorry 😔 but must ask.

Which of the two statements issued by the user is true and accurate ?

The above quoted statement or the below quoted statement ?

We what to genuinely assist but need reliable information to move forwards on this

hootboot wrote:

Hi, Thanks for your response. My external drive is 1TB mac journaled with only around 84GB free and my Macbook has about 4GB free of 256GB . I thought Time Machine erased old back ups to make room?

Jul 19, 2023 3:37 AM in response to hootboot

No issues, really 😀

Running a single " 2TB Omega hard drive partitioned into three " can be done but and yes there are potential Trade Offs ( negative side affects ).

1 - To use the metaphor " All the eggs in 1 basket and the basket fails - scramble eggs " and everything is lost.

I am sure you would not want this to happen.

2 - Time Machine Backup usually whats to take Complete Control of the Entire Drive.

3 - Having the drive for multi purposes could be affecting the TM backup Utility to a certain degree and resulting in this issue.

In the above # 3, I can not confirm this, as I only dedicate the Entire Drive ( no partitions ) to that single purpose - Backups

Jul 19, 2023 5:59 AM in response to PRP_53

It all sounds very complicated even though when Apple tell you the benefits of Time Machine none of this is mentioned and unless you really get involved in how all this works you would have no idea. You assume just connect an external hard drive and forget it, it'll continue in the background, no problem. I think I may just muddle through it and thank you for your help.

Failed back ups with Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.