Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of App across all iOS devices

I've been debating purchasing an app for my iPad Pro to allow me to edit my websites database while I'm out and about. While I was in a cafe the other day I needed to make a quick update to an entry, so I decided to purchase the app using my iPhone (I didn't have my iPad Pro on me at the time) as I was under the impression that it will automatically transfer over to my iPad Pro.

Much to my annoyance when I tried to use the app on my iPad Pro it requested me to make the payment again. So as it stands, as I have an iPhone, 11" iPad Pro and 12.9" iPad Pro I'm expected to pay 3 times for the same app. Am I right in assuming that if you purchase an app from the App Store, that same app can be used on all iOS devices as long as they are signed in using the same Apple ID?

I have requested a refund from Apple, but I have been declined the request with no reason to why.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 5:49 PM

Most apps are available in the Purchased list for download on your other devices.

However, some developers create an app for iPhones and a version for iPads and they charge for both. That is the prerogative of the developer. Apple doesn't make that decision.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.5.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.6.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.7.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.7.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.7.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.7  HomePods, audioOS 14.7 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2021 5:49 PM in response to jengarweb

Most apps are available in the Purchased list for download on your other devices.

However, some developers create an app for iPhones and a version for iPads and they charge for both. That is the prerogative of the developer. Apple doesn't make that decision.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 11.5.1; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 7.6.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 14.7.1; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14.7.1; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.7.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 14.7  HomePods, audioOS 14.7 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Use of App across all iOS devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.