You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Display Preferences - no rotate option

I have a second screen which I have had in portrait mode for more than a year, but suddenly it has returned to landscape mode despite the physical screen being in portrait. I have opened System/Displays preferences and there is no option to rotate the screen any more. How can I rotate the display?

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 installed

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 4:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 9:45 AM

Hi Luis,

I was struggling with this all day yesterday and have opened the Displays preferences today and sure enough there is the rotate option. It definitely was not there yesterday! All is well again. Thank you to you & Brian_P7 for your inputs.

3 replies

Sep 12, 2021 12:25 PM in response to geoffglio

Hey geoffgli,

We understand you're 2nd monitor is in landscape mode instead of portrait mode. For assistance with this, review this article: Rotate the image on your Mac display When you click on the Display tab, you may see the preferences for your Mac display. If you see "Gather Windows" at the bottom, tap on it and it should pop-up another window for the 2nd monitor. Check to see which options you have there.

If you continue to experience the issue, let us know the make and model of the monitor you're using.

Best wishes.

System Display Preferences - no rotate option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.