Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music songs being different when on WiFi rather than cellular data

I’ve been having a problem with a specific song I found around a week ago. Whenever I play the song on cellular data, it plays the correct song, but whenever I connect to my home WiFi, it plays a completely different song. I have tried restarting my phone, and I am using the latest iOS update. I have an iPhone 8+, and the song is Dumb by BVNDIT. Any ideas on how to fix this?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 12:57 PM

Hello, bright_bear0.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you’re hearing different songs when you play a song using your Cellular Data connection than you hear when you play it on a Wi-Fi connection, and you’re curious about ways to resolve the issue. 

With a quick search of the Apple Music library, we can see that Dumb by BVNDIT is available in Lossless. Let's start there.

Check your Music app settings to see what you have selected for Audio Quality. It may help us find the cause of your issue.

Go to Settings > Music > Audio Quality and check to see if you have Lossless Audio enabled. If you do, what do you have selected for Cellular Streaming and Wi-Fi Streaming? If the selections are different, try to temporarily align them and restart your iPhone. Do you hear the same song when you stream it verses listen on Wi-FI now? If you do, and the difference in the two versions is only that the audio sounds different, it may be the difference in audio qualities that you’re hearing. If the difference is two totally different songs, reach out to Apple to report an issue with the song:

Feedback - Apple Music - Apple

Is Lossless not the issue? The only other possible explanation we can think of is that you may be connecting to a computer with a downloaded iTunes/Music library through home sharing on your home Wi-Fi. In this scenario, when you’re connected to Cellular Data it will play the version of the song in the Apple Music library, but when you’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the computer that houses your downloaded music library, it will play the version that is downloaded on that device. This article explains:

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

We look forward to learning more about your findings.

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 12:57 PM in response to bright_bear0

Hello, bright_bear0.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you’re hearing different songs when you play a song using your Cellular Data connection than you hear when you play it on a Wi-Fi connection, and you’re curious about ways to resolve the issue. 

With a quick search of the Apple Music library, we can see that Dumb by BVNDIT is available in Lossless. Let's start there.

Check your Music app settings to see what you have selected for Audio Quality. It may help us find the cause of your issue.

Go to Settings > Music > Audio Quality and check to see if you have Lossless Audio enabled. If you do, what do you have selected for Cellular Streaming and Wi-Fi Streaming? If the selections are different, try to temporarily align them and restart your iPhone. Do you hear the same song when you stream it verses listen on Wi-FI now? If you do, and the difference in the two versions is only that the audio sounds different, it may be the difference in audio qualities that you’re hearing. If the difference is two totally different songs, reach out to Apple to report an issue with the song:

Feedback - Apple Music - Apple

Is Lossless not the issue? The only other possible explanation we can think of is that you may be connecting to a computer with a downloaded iTunes/Music library through home sharing on your home Wi-Fi. In this scenario, when you’re connected to Cellular Data it will play the version of the song in the Apple Music library, but when you’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the computer that houses your downloaded music library, it will play the version that is downloaded on that device. This article explains:

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

We look forward to learning more about your findings.

Cheers.

Apple Music songs being different when on WiFi rather than cellular data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.