You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Magnetic charging cable (connected via USB-C)

Regarding the Apple Watch magnetic charging cable (connected via USB-C), what is the maximum power output (in Watts) that the charger can produce?

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 8:15 PM

36 replies

Sep 13, 2021 5:05 PM in response to deggie

This does not answer my question. To give you an analogy, the Apple Magsafe wireless charger (for iPhones) can produce a maximum power output of 15 Watts (with Apple's recommended 20 Watt power adapter). My question is: what is the maximum power output (in Watts) that the Apple Watch magnetic charger (connected via USB-C) can produce?

Sep 14, 2021 2:34 PM in response to jacob__k

Get a USB-C Power monitor

https://www.amazon.com/usb-power-monitor/s?k=usb+power+monitor

and measure it for yourself.

Watts is voltage times current. You do not control voltage, so the current (amps) is what varies. The Apple Watch only sips 12 watts no matter how much is available.

Using a power meter will report a higher wattage, but only because there is some power inefficiencies and losses in the wire and generating a magnetic field. There will be heat losses as well (another inefficiency).

Put another way, I can put a 100 gallon gas tank on my lawnmower, but it is still going to use the same amount of gas to cut my lawn as it did with the 1 gallon gas tank. It is not how much gas is available, it is how fast the lawnmower consumes it.

The same is true for the Apple Watch charging cable. It is basically going to draw the amount of power accepted by the Apple Watch, plus some extra for inefficiencies.

Sep 13, 2021 7:18 PM in response to jacob__k

Because it is basically a cable, just like the cable for your iPhone, it CARRIES power, it does not PRODUCE power. If you connect the device you pictured to the 20watt power adapter I posted the puck/cable will CARRY 20w to the puck at the end. If you connect it to a MacBook Pro power adapter it will CARRY 85w to the puck. But the Watches power management circuitry controls all charging and it will only ACCEPT 12w.

Sep 14, 2021 10:37 PM in response to BobHarris

I spoke with an Apple tech support worker today. She said that the Apple Watch Magnetic charging cable (via USB-C) has a maximum carrying capacity and output of 30 watts. Is she wrong? Because BobHarris and deggie both say that the Apple Watch Magnetic charging cable has no maximum carrying capacity and output (in Watts), and that the only regulation or maximum intake of watts exists in the Apple Watch itself.

Sep 18, 2021 3:15 PM in response to jacob__k

So are you trying to design your own charger to sell?

To learn about wireless charging a good place to start, assuming you already have a fairly advanced knowledge of electronics, is the Qi standards site and work your way from there. The Apple Watch puck is not a true Qi charger, but you can also check the Made for iPhone standards site. Again, it will help to have an electronics understanding foundation to read it. If you do not have that check with your local community college and see if they offer an adult course.

Your technical questions have already been answered in detail.

Sep 19, 2021 10:12 AM in response to jacob__k

jacob__k wrote:

Ok, that's fine. Does the size of a wireless charging coil affect its charging rate/speed? For instance, does the size of the wireless coil in the MagSafe wireless charging cable (for iPhones) and the Apple Watch Magnetic charging cable (via USB-C) affect each of their charging rates/speeds?

The Apple Watch controls how fast it draws power from the puck. As long as the puck meets the Apple Watch charging standards, then at most the Apple Watch will draw 12 watts. ONLY if the puck does not have 12 watts to offer, will the Apple Watch draw less than its maximum, until the Apple Watch is fully charged, then at most the Apple Watch will trickle charge to maintain the 100% battery while on the charger.

The charging brick, the charging cable, and the charging puck DO NOT control the speed at which the Apple Watch charges. The Apple Watch is in control of that at all times.

Apple Watch Magnetic charging cable (connected via USB-C)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.