Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark spots at the bottom of my screen

Good day everyone can someone tell me what the dark spots at the bottom of my screen mean its like almost 3 quarter of an inch from each other and its getting worse every day i used my macbook pro.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 11:03 AM

Unfortunately mine is the 15-in 2016 model so I am guessing the repair will be on me it looks so bad each day I used my MacBook Pro can I go into apple and have them repair/replace the entire screen? any ideas how much it will cost me to have this done and the days it will take for the repairs? Even my keyboard is not working properly i will press (c) key but the letter keep showing up (cc) or (ccc) even tho is just once i press it. If i had known what i now see definitely i would not buy this bag of problems that is happening right to me now my pockets and wallet i know for sure is screaming don't do it William but i have no choice. Thank you for your advice and help Grant Bennet-Alder

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2021 11:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Unfortunately mine is the 15-in 2016 model so I am guessing the repair will be on me it looks so bad each day I used my MacBook Pro can I go into apple and have them repair/replace the entire screen? any ideas how much it will cost me to have this done and the days it will take for the repairs? Even my keyboard is not working properly i will press (c) key but the letter keep showing up (cc) or (ccc) even tho is just once i press it. If i had known what i now see definitely i would not buy this bag of problems that is happening right to me now my pockets and wallet i know for sure is screaming don't do it William but i have no choice. Thank you for your advice and help Grant Bennet-Alder

Sep 12, 2021 10:30 AM in response to Edwardglaston_1727

The "footlights" or "stage lights" problem is caused by the cable to the display being stretched a little bit too much in the fully open position, and likely developing cracks that may ultimately cause the backlighting to fail, possibly followed by the entire display failing.

It is acknowledged as a known issue in the 13-in 2016 model, and Apple will fix it free, PROVIDED you have EXACTLY the affected model and you meet ALL the conditions in an otherwise perfectly fine MacBook Pro 13-in 2016.

[2016 model]13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

At this writing, it is NOT acknowledged as an issue in any other models. If you pay to fix it (by replacing the display assembly, complete for upwards of US$650) save your receipts and IF there is ever a recall program, Apple will cover the cost of an appropriate repair.

You can work-around the issue by attaching an external display or TV set:

Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Sep 12, 2021 11:21 AM in response to Edwardglaston_1727

To fix anything to do with the display, outside of AppleCare plus, on the 15-inch model runs about US$800, and there are no smaller parts, only display assembly, complete.

to fix anything regarding the keyboard, trackpad, battery, or the metal top-plate to which all are attached requires replacement of that assembly, complete, and runs around US$500 -ish. Because of repair-by-replacement, you get a new battery with any repair in that area.

to get Apple to make ANY repairs, they require you to bring everything into working order.

If you can get access to "Depot repair", they will send it out and fix everything for one flat rate, which is typically somewhat less than the cost of the individual repairs.

Realistically, counting the shipping delays coming and going, that process runs about 10 days elapsed time. My experience has been that they often quote you less time, but it will still take about 10 days. If, by some miracle, you actually get it back in less than 10 days, Merry Christmas.

Dark spots at the bottom of my screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.