Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Primephonic on Apple Music

How do I navigate to or even see the I specific PrimePhonic 'area' in Apple Music (1.1.6) on 11.5.2, please?

I have tried asking PrimePhonic themselves. But received no reply.

TIA!

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 2:43 PM

I don't believe there is such a section. From the PrimePhonic website: The Primephonic service has been taken offline. We are working on an amazing new classical music experience from Apple for early next year.

9 replies

Sep 12, 2021 2:48 PM in response to muguy

Thanks, @muguy.

I am still a little confused, though: my reason for joining PrimePhonic was that it uses the most appropriate tagging and cataloguing scheme for 'classical' music. Composers, whole works and periods etc. As opposed to 'songs', artists and tracks - which rarely work for serious music.

It's now much more difficult to find a specific work by a specific composer in Apple Music.

Are you saying that the PrimePhonic<>Apple Music deal really represents such a step backwards for the classical music loving minority?

Sep 26, 2021 11:42 AM in response to JackScot

Yes, thanks @JackScot. I didn't have playlists etc in PrimePhonic because there was no way to delete individual works from them.

What I want to be able to do is use only the small corner of Apple Music which contains correctly tagged (e.g. by composer and work, not artists and 'song') 'classical' music as it used to appear and be available from PrimePhonic itself.

It's very difficult to find serious music now in the new arrangement.

I am kind of resigned to yet another situation where the majority bullies out the music-loving minority :-(

Oct 1, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Mark Sealey

Just wait until you try the "importer" that came out today for Primephonic playlists! Bottomline: it doesn't work because Apple Music has not (of course) resolved the metadata issues. So while the importer finds all of the playlists, it then says that "100% of your music cannot be matched." Patently ridiculous, because I can find some of the recordings if I manually search the way Apple Music thinks, i.e. looking for the "performer" or the "artist", such as San Francisco Symphony or Michael Tilson-Thomas, and not for Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. That, of course, is a ridiculous amount of effort. Apple has as yet invested nothing into making this work . . .

Oct 1, 2021 11:21 AM in response to Jeanette Garretty

Thanks for that, Jeanette! I'm so sorry it's like this.

I never bothered with PrimePhonic Playlists as such because there was no way to delete works from them. So I don't miss that. But I can imagine how frustrating it is for anyone - like yourself - who did :-(

I believed, when we were told about the change last month, that there would be some sort of parity between finding works (NOT 'songs) in Apple Music and the way we could search similarly to the - never perfect - way in which we did in Primephonic.

It's tempting to think that PrimePhonic simply lost interest, lost any hope of making a profit, or put someone who doesn't understand how lovers of serious music locate and listen to works… it's been a very long time since I last went to a concert where old Hector was actually performing.

I'll probably see out my free subscription then switch to Idagio.

Good luck!

Primephonic on Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.