Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When my iPhone was stolen, should I remotely erase my device or Mark it as lost ?

When my iPhone was stolen, should I remotely erase my device or Mark it as lost ?

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 9:19 AM

See the following from If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Remotely erase your device

After you erase a device, you can't track its location, so make sure that you no longer need to search for the device. If you have AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, do not erase your iPhone until your claim has been approved.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2021 9:19 AM in response to jzge

See the following from If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Remotely erase your device

After you erase a device, you can't track its location, so make sure that you no longer need to search for the device. If you have AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, do not erase your iPhone until your claim has been approved.

Sep 13, 2021 9:57 AM in response to jzge

As FoxFifth has mentioned, do not erase it. Instead, I suggest that you do, as a minimum the following:

• Mark it a lost. However, do not include any contact information.
  • Change your Apple ID password.
  • Report the theft to your local law enforcement agency.
  • Report the theft to your cellular provider.

Ref: Use Lost Mode in Find My iPhone on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.