Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppStore background activity

My iPhone XR says AppStore background activity is draining my iPhone battery twice a day after recharge.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 12:17 PM

OK ios14.8 is out today. If you have a Mac or PC with iTunes I recommend updating to 14.8 using a computer to get a fresh copy.

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch

After that, backing up, wiping then restoring is the next step.

Backup and restore (using the computer method preferably)

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Unlock your SIM PIN if it has one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 12:17 PM in response to Dawn Gwin

OK ios14.8 is out today. If you have a Mac or PC with iTunes I recommend updating to 14.8 using a computer to get a fresh copy.

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch

After that, backing up, wiping then restoring is the next step.

Backup and restore (using the computer method preferably)

(1)How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

Unlock your SIM PIN if it has one

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Sep 14, 2021 12:39 PM in response to LD150

Before I posted on the forum yesterday I signed all my devices out of iCloud and back in. The iPhone drained the battery in two hours. Then I reset the entire iPhone. It still was draining the battery. After your suggestion, I signed out of the AppStore and turned off all options. This morning when I was there was still AppStore background activity, I upgraded to the new OS 14.8.

Sep 17, 2021 7:48 AM in response to LD150

Yes, updated using an iMac. I am sick to death of Apple and this phone but still I ordered a new iPhone today in hopes that this will end this ongoing nightmare. Yesterday morning after performing all the suggested fixes and leaving the iPhone fully charge, the iPhone was drained by background AppStore activity to ZERO charge—keep in mind that it happened while every app was turned off and I was signed out of Apps with it turned off in System settings. Same thing happened last night. This morning I couldn't even complete the pre order for the iPhone 13 because I couldn't receive the confirmation text required from Verizon. If this phone were not scheduled for trade in I would take great pleasure in smashing it to bits.

Sep 17, 2021 8:30 AM in response to Dawn Gwin

So to hand it back you need to backup and restore to factory. Why not do that and test it? - set up as new on your Apple account without restoring the backup as I suggested.

If that runs ok then there is something installed on your phone that is causing it and it would be a shame to restore it onto the new phone.

Sep 20, 2021 10:42 AM in response to LD150

I think we might be there! As you suggested, I removed all but the apps I use most. Checking the next morning, the AppStore was still using a good bit of battery for background activity. In checking, I realized that one of the resets had caused all the apps to be allowed background refresh. I turned off all but the most necessary and the battery usage is down a lot now. I didn't have any security or VPN apps and I have only 56 apps total including Apple apps I never use like FaceTime, Wallet, etc. Taking Zoom off definitely seemed to affect the total background activity. Thank you!!!!

AppStore background activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.