Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud

Does icloud back up the content in my files, acting like an external hard drive?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 9:26 AM

image.magic,

Thank you for your clarification. If you added your documents to iCloud prior to your computer crashing, then yes, you can retrieve the documents. It is like an external drive in the fact, that you can access the information from any computer by going to iCloud.com and signing in with your Apple ID & password.

Set up iCloud Drive

Hope this better answers the question.

Cheers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2021 9:26 AM in response to image.magic

image.magic,

Thank you for your clarification. If you added your documents to iCloud prior to your computer crashing, then yes, you can retrieve the documents. It is like an external drive in the fact, that you can access the information from any computer by going to iCloud.com and signing in with your Apple ID & password.

Set up iCloud Drive

Hope this better answers the question.

Cheers.

Sep 14, 2021 7:46 AM in response to image.magic

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities  image.magic,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you. We understand you're inquiring about iCloud.  We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution. When you store documents in iCloud Drive and back up your iOS device, those items are backed up as long as it's selected to backup. We have included a couple links to better explain how to store documents in iCloud on your Mac.

Access and manage files in your iCloud Drive

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

You can't backup your Mac to iCloud Drive though. You would use Time Machine to completely back up your Mac.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

We hope this answers your question.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

Sep 14, 2021 8:33 AM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for the reply - I'm not sure that the information provivded quite covers what I'm (trying) to get at. If, for instance something happened to my computer and I lost my data - let's say before I backed up using Time Machine - would the content of the files located in icloud for that computer be able to be retrieved? Does icloud, as well as providing a platform to access your data from different locations, also act like an external drive?

icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.