Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating older iPad.

I have an old iPad that my grandkids play games on. I’m unable to update the device. The latest update I’ve been able to apply is 9.3.5. I think need to unpair it from my iPhone and my newer iPad. Would that keep them secure?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2021 11:53 PM

Real-blonde Said:

"Updating older iPad.: I have an old iPad that my grandkids play games on. I’m unable to update the device. The latest update I’ve been able to apply is 9.3.5. I think need to unpair it from my iPhone and my newer iPad. Would that keep them secure?"

-------

Insecurity:

Your older iPad that cannot install security updates and bug fixes is prone to failure. So, yes, it would making those items less secure. So, unpair it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2021 11:53 PM in response to Real-blonde

Real-blonde Said:

"Updating older iPad.: I have an old iPad that my grandkids play games on. I’m unable to update the device. The latest update I’ve been able to apply is 9.3.5. I think need to unpair it from my iPhone and my newer iPad. Would that keep them secure?"

-------

Insecurity:

Your older iPad that cannot install security updates and bug fixes is prone to failure. So, yes, it would making those items less secure. So, unpair it.

Sep 13, 2021 11:40 PM in response to Real-blonde

It appears that those older iPads are listed under your Apple ID. This would be the same Apple ID that you use for your iPhone and your newer iPad.

I wouldn’t bother removing the older iPads from your Apple ID. Removing those items do not make them any more or less secure. I recommend that you only keep data on it that is necessary. Turn off iCloud by opening Settings ➔ Apple ID (Your Name at Top) ➔ iCloud: Here, set every line item to OFF. This will prevent iCloud syncing with your newer devices and then you can go ahead and delete the data that you do not want the kids to use or see on the older iPads. You may already have the older iPads set this way.

Note that the chances of your iPad/iPhone getting hacked are almost next to Zero due to the locked nature of Apple’s ecosystem.

Axel F.

Sep 14, 2021 1:59 AM in response to Real-blonde

Firstly, some context would perhaps be helpful…

iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for these models in September 2016. Your iPad cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed; these are 32-bit architecture devices, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms. iPad2, iPad3 and iPad mini1 are obsolete.

You may need to consider that compatible Apps for your iPad are increasingly difficult to find - as third-party developers are increasingly dropping support for 32-bit devices and versions of iOS preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or install them - which may severely limit the usefulness and utility of your iPad. As such, if you want or need to access most current Apps, requiring more recent versions of iOS, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model.

Now we can consider security of the platform…

Be wary of the myth that Apple devices are immune to malware; those that perpetuate this untruth do not understand (or necessarily comprehend) the broader threat landscape. Whilst iOS is not susceptible to traditional malware infection per-se, as with all computer systems there are still vulnerabilities and exploits to which you remain vulnerable. With the device now beyond update support, the risk of a vulnerability being actively exploited increases. Consider that Apple invest heavily in producing security updates for good reason.

If the device is effectively “air gapped” from all network and internet connection, the risk of compromise is mitigated - but only while the device remains un-compromised and isolated from network connection. For most devices, this level of isolation is impractical - if only because you cannot download Apps or App updates. However, pragmatism and risk assessment can reduce risk where a device is restricted in both its capabilities and intended use.

If you limit use to self-contained Apps and Games - and disable all network connectivity - the risk of compromise is substantially reduced to almost zero. If this is a practical proposition for you, then you might consider continued use of a vulnerable device. Don’t underestimate the capabilities and curiosity of children; network connections can be easily restored.

The only way to keep a device protected from threat or compromise, insofar as risk can be practically mitigated, is to ensure that you are using a device that is “in support” and is kept updated to the most recent version of its Operating System.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your risk exposure and available options - and the fundamental limitations of your current iPad.

Updating older iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.