Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do we download this Security Update 2021-005 Catalina update? Is it automatic?

How do we download this Security Update 2021-005 Catalina update? Is it automatic?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2021 8:14 PM

Dear all,

Software Update didn't work for me -- as it just pushed me to do an OS Upgrade. I was looking for a download link of the security update -- and after a few minutes of poking around, I found it:

Security Update 2021-005 Catalina

5 replies

Sep 14, 2021 11:27 PM in response to dylan_king

Well that was very quick of Apple to post the update, normally they take a few days, the last lot of Security Updates didn't become available in this way for about two weeks.

System Preferences> Software Update should have had the Security Update available,

it would have appeared under the Big Sur upgrade notification box in blue letters

saying something like 'other downloads are available for your computer'.

Personally I prefer to have Automatically keep my Mac up to date unchecked.

This stops the mac from interrupting you and downloading Security Updates or point releases,

you might be busy involved in important projects, and it is not impossible that automatically

installing these large updates could interrupt your workflow and lead to loss of data.

Of late Apple updates have not been very reliable and on several occasions have led to

supplemental updates being released to fix any problems the previous update may

have introduced.

This is how I have the Advanced section in Software Update set up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.