Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download Catalina security updates?

I need to download security update 2022-004 for catalina--I cannot get my software updates to work the normal way. What URL can I find it at?

Posted on May 22, 2022 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 8:18 AM

I had tried turning off the VPN and proxy settings with no luck, however when I rebooted after doing that I was able to install the update normally, then re-enable the VPN and proxy settings once it was all done.

Thanks for all the responses--good tips to remember for the future in case I run into trouble and this solution doesn't work.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2022 8:18 AM in response to PRP_53

I had tried turning off the VPN and proxy settings with no luck, however when I rebooted after doing that I was able to install the update normally, then re-enable the VPN and proxy settings once it was all done.

Thanks for all the responses--good tips to remember for the future in case I run into trouble and this solution doesn't work.

May 22, 2022 7:01 PM in response to PythonicGuy

PythonicGuy wrote:

I need to download security update 2022-004 for catalina--I cannot get my software updates to work the normal way. What URL can I find it at?

If Safeboot does not work for you ...

From Terminal.app to list available updates copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate -l

to select a particular update copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --install <insert the Label: name as indicated>

( you are replacing the entire string: <insert the Label: name as indicated> with the name

May 23, 2022 9:15 AM in response to PythonicGuy

PythonicGuy wrote:

I had tried turning off the VPN and proxy settings with no luck,

This is why I stated “remove”.

These apps are too often poorly written and themselves vulnerable to attacks and variously insecure and privacy-sucking trash fires.

I mean, just post your data directly to the ‘net, because you’re too often deliberately handing it over to entities that collect, package, and resell your activities.

One of the better-known “security” apps was selling personally identifying browsing activity including purchase data. Others have been found to log, after claiming not to. When the logs were discovered.

This whole “security“ market is just filled with sketchy players and sketchy products and way too much hype.

By all appearances, “security” apps are where many of the malware writers and malware vendors went.

The distance between too many security apps and the “you have (3) virus” pop-up adverts is waaaaaaay too close.

May 23, 2022 11:53 AM in response to PythonicGuy

PythonicGuy wrote:

I don't disagree, however in this case the laptop is a corporate machine with the VPN within the corporate boundary and proxies filtering traffic, so uninstalling the apps is not an option.

Oh, that's a much easier case. Call corporate IT, and request they fix whatever happened.

And corporate VPNs are a different situation entirely from the existing morass of first-few-hops commercial VPN "services".

May 23, 2022 1:37 PM in response to PythonicGuy

Only a suggestion for future posting.

The more complete, accurate and relevant information, directly related to the both the computer and the circumstances by which the computer connects to the Internet is better disclosed up-front.

In so doing - more relevant, accurate information may have been made for this specific situation.

This does not take away from the steps the user eventually used to archive the end goal of downloading and installing the Security Update of Catalina

Where can I download Catalina security updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.