Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Code 8058 involving tagged image files

So I just had to wipe my iMac HD and installed Big Sur. After I re-installed all my apps and stuff I wanted to update a few of my external HDD's to new ones. I transferred files form the old external HDD to the new external HDD and I found out I get this error code -8058 when I click on certain files on the new HDD. After some testing, I found out the error message only pops up on image files that have color tags. The files are still good, I can open, view them etc and they copied cleanly. That error just pops up every time I click on and off a file that has an existing color tag prior to transferring it regardless if it's from my desktop or from another external drive. If I remove the tag after it has been transferred then the error message does not appear on that file if I click or scroll through them again with the arrow keys. If I re-tag it afterwards, the error message still does not appear. It's only if a file is transferred with a tag to an external HDD. One last thing to add, the error only appears if the image is in a preview window in finder. So if I click on files when finder is in a "List" or "Icons" view, the error does not appear. But if I click on them in "Columns" or "Gallery" view which generates a preview image the error appears. This does not happen if I hit space to get a full screen preview and then scroll up/down with the arrow keys. Only if I'm in Columns or Gallery view.

I just find this very odd. If the files are on my desktop then this does not happen. This also does not happen when I click on the same files on the old external HDD. It's only after files have been transferred/copied to an external HDD either from my desktop or from external to external.

I have attempted restarting my iMac, deleting the "com.apple.finder.plist" in the preferences that I have read of forums regarding the same error code but it sounds like a different issue than what Im getting. But if I delete that preference file, it immediately creates a new one as soon as I put it in the trash. But even after restarting it still didn't do anything. I've even erased and tried different external drives multiple times but the error code still appears.

I'm just hoping there's a solution so I don't have to manually untag and re-tag 1,000's of files and prevent new files being transferred from the desktop to HDD that are tagged. I could tag after I transfer newer files but feel this is something that shouldn't be happening.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 1:36 AM

Lacie, Rugged USB-C 5TB

Thanks. That is an excellent quality drive.

Does it work properly in Safe Mode?

Similar questions

3 replies

Error Code 8058 involving tagged image files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.