Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air keyboard & work for login, but not after logged in.

A very small spill of water onto the trackpad / keyboard triggered a failure of my trackpad & keyboard. Strangely though, for the login window both keyboard and trackpad work, but not after successfully logging in. An external keyboard works. I've tried the following:

1) SMC reset via keyboard

2) 'Extended' SMC reset via keyboard by pulling out power adaptor as amber light changes to green

3) PRAM/NVRAM reset

4) Disconnecting internal battery and pressing power key for 5 seconds before reconnecting battery

No joy. Does anyone have any ideas. Much appreciated.

NB Not sure what year the MacBook Air is, prob c. 2013 (I can check later)

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 3:13 AM

I seem to have resolved this after leaving the battery disconnected for some hours and re-performing (2) above. Also plugged in an external keyboard. The MacBook Air's keyboard and mouse spontaneously started working again.

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 16, 2021 6:36 AM in response to Jamie M

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

We're sorry to hear that water was spilled on your Mac now your keyboard and trackpad aren't working. You've done a great job troubleshooting so far!

You can also run a diagnostic test on your Mac to test its hardware: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

If it does appear to be water damage, we'd recommend that you contact Apple directly to help you to determine your service options. You can reach them here: Get Support

Take care!

MacBook Air keyboard & work for login, but not after logged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.