Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to update or upgrade the operating system on an iMac (27 inch, late 2009) against FORCEDENTRY?

Is there an update or upgrade that I can install on my old iMac as a defence to FORCEDENTRY? i have updated all my other devices but I can't see any reference to what to do about an iMac (27 inch, late 2009) using High Sierra.

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 1:00 PM

The iMac (27", late 2009) can run no macOS newer than what is already on it, 10.13.6 High Sierra.

There are no security updates forthcoming. The OS is no longer supported by Apple.

I'm sorry, my friend. If you want something that will be supported and more secure you're going to have to get a new or newer Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Apple-Support-Communities-b

The iMac (27", late 2009) can run no macOS newer than what is already on it, 10.13.6 High Sierra.

There are no security updates forthcoming. The OS is no longer supported by Apple.

I'm sorry, my friend. If you want something that will be supported and more secure you're going to have to get a new or newer Mac.

Sep 15, 2021 1:02 PM in response to Apple-Support-Communities-b

The late 2009 iMac can be upgraded to 10.13.

All OSes on the Mac support an open firmware password that can only be bypassed by knowing the password you inserted.

Secondly Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Security can encrypt the hard drive via Filevault.

Recovery is only available with 10.7 or later being installed, and the hard drive remaining healthy on a 2009 machine. If you still have the original CD that came with the machine, you can boot it with the Option key to manage the Open firmware password as well. If the hard drive fails, you may not be able to fix the issues with open firmware on such an old machine that has been updated past that CD's ability to manage it.

If this is not the security you are looking for, what do you mean by forcedentry?

Is it possible to update or upgrade the operating system on an iMac (27 inch, late 2009) against FORCEDENTRY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.