Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password leaks very often

Hello there,

I have recently begun checking my passwords with apple's new "security recommendations" on my iphone. It seems that about once a month multiple of my passwords are involved in a data leak. Which passwords are compromised seems to vary. I've read that it is possible for the passwords to not actually be mine (just a similar one used by another user), but some of them (normally ones deemed "easily guessed" by apple) seem to be pretty unique. For example, one that was recently compromised was "apple1029" (not used on an apple-related website). I also never re-use my passwords. I am very stressed out over this, as some of the passwords use another family member's email account. Has one of our accounts been compromised, or am I overeacting?

Thank you so much!

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 6:09 PM

Passwords are leaked when sites that you visit are hacked. Sadly, this happens all too frequently. Most companies have rather poor cybersecurity, because it costs money to do it right, and there is no return on investment from it. A few companies have outstanding security: Google, Apple, Microsoft. Some that should know better don’t such as Equifax (140 million customer accounts were stolen from them several years ago) T-Mobile had something like 60 million accounts stolen, Zynga (the game company), and there are new reports regularly of hacked sites.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2021 6:09 PM in response to Simonvuu

Passwords are leaked when sites that you visit are hacked. Sadly, this happens all too frequently. Most companies have rather poor cybersecurity, because it costs money to do it right, and there is no return on investment from it. A few companies have outstanding security: Google, Apple, Microsoft. Some that should know better don’t such as Equifax (140 million customer accounts were stolen from them several years ago) T-Mobile had something like 60 million accounts stolen, Zynga (the game company), and there are new reports regularly of hacked sites.

Sep 15, 2021 5:09 PM in response to Simonvuu

Generally it will be identical, as the probability of 2 passwords generating the same hash is possible but very unlikely. And similar doesn’t count. To use your example, “apple1029” and “apple1030” will generate totally different hashes. But I can imagine many users thinking apple1029 might be a chosen password. I’m sure there are lots of people whose birthday is October 29 and who access Apple’s site.

Using the standard SHA256 hash algorithm that many sites use:

apple1029: ba054a50af19449b515149b41122e33f514e3adb68e548edc2b8a4fad3f492c8
apple1030: 05acffad024480bd5758e4b6b3a3e838aa52175374424face4e940d702669a04

(above generated using https://md5hashing.net/hash/sha256)

I leave it as an exercise to the reader to reverse engineer the above hashes (you can do it on the same site). If there is more than one possible value the site will list all of them.

Sep 15, 2021 5:42 PM in response to Simonvuu

Yes, you should change any that you received warnings about. Your iPhone will generate strong passwords for you, if you want. If you create them yourself they should be long (12-20 characters). One popular and relatively secure way is to use 2 unrelated words and and a number. Adding a special character is a good idea: for example, Nifty873Comet! (which is not a password I use, BTW 😏)

Password leaks very often

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.