Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro late 2013 Wifi speeds

Hi everyone!

I have a 2013 Macbook pro, and Im wondering if its capable of getting the speed similar to when it's directly connected to my modem vs a router.

When i plug into my modem i get about 180mps down, when i plug the MacBook directly into the linksys router, i get about 70, and over wifi about 70. Is my router too old to offer the 190? Its a linksys EA3500. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 5:41 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Sep 16, 2021 7:57 AM in response to magicman1975

magicman1975 wrote:

I guess my question is , is the Linksys router I have too old to produce the higher speeds?? Because when I’m directly connected to the router with Ethernet , I get about half of what I get when connecting to the modem.

Why not buy a new router and try it (?) — if it no improvement, return it. Bestt Buy has a liberal return policy.

What I see :

ref: https://www.linksys.com/ca/wireless-routers/traditional-routers/linksys-ea3500-n750-dual-band-wi-fi-router/p/p-ea3500/#product-features

Your 2013 MBP may be your weal link.

802.11ac offers backward compatibility to 802.11a/b/g/n and bandwidth rated up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band plus up to 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz. Most home wireless routers are compliant with this standard. 802.11ac is also referred to as Wi-Fi 5.

Sep 15, 2021 6:36 PM in response to magicman1975

magicman1975 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I have a 2013 Macbook pro, and Im wondering if its capable of getting the speed similar to when it's directly connected to my modem vs a router.

When i plug into my modem i get about 180mps down, when i plug the MacBook directly into the linksys router, i get about 70, and over wifi about 70. Is my router too old to offer the 190? Its a linksys EA3500. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ethernet is always going to be the faster.

Maybe a DOCSIS 3.1 modem w/ 32 x 8 bonded channels would improve + a new router, simultaneous Dual Band WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

Sep 15, 2021 7:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

Ethernet is always going to be faster, you can always get 100 Mbits/sec and often get 1,000 Mbits/sec transmit rates. BUT: It is very easy to confuse yourself when testing.

Internet packets are sent to the TOPMOST, WORKING, interface shown in system preferences > networks.

Best practice is to "Set Service Order" [on the gear menu, under the pane of interfaces] to set Ethernet TOPMOST, so that when it is working, it will be used first. When Ethernet is not working, Wi-Fi will be used next.

a 2013 MacBook Pro can attain Wi-Fi 450 Transmit speed on a perfect connection to the best Router available when there is no competition whatsoever.

Sep 16, 2021 8:00 AM in response to magicman1975

Your experimental data was:

Ethernet direct from Modem: 180

wifi from Router: 70

'ethernet' from Router: 70

that looks like you might have accidentally tested Wi-Fi twice, and not tested Ethernet from your Router at all.

That is why I added my suggestion that you move Ethernet to the top of the networks pane list, so that it would be preferred. Another alternative would be to turn Wi-Fi OFF for the Ethernet test.

Sep 16, 2021 8:20 AM in response to magicman1975

Best speeds will always be provided by using Ethernet cabling rather than Wi-Fi, PROVIDED your Ethernet cables have all eight conductors present, which allows them to jump up to Gigabit Ethernet speeds. Otherwise, you will be limited to 100 Mbits/sec Ethernet.

Your early 2013 Macbook Pro has three internal antennas, and was sold as capable of up 802.11n and up to 450 Mbytes/sec, under ideal conditions including using all 3 antennas. This typically requires being very close to your Router with no intervening dense walls or other objects, and using a 40 MHz data channel, typically on the 5GHz band.

The latest Routers have a much wider antenna spacing and better Signal Processing, so they can provide some modest speed improvement because they are a bit sharper, NOT because they make a leap into new technologies. The new technologies of Wi-Fi 6 are included, but you can not access then from your older MacBook.

{Router upgrades presents a similar dilemma to upgrading the components in your component stereo system. The full impact of upgrading to an excellent component is not seen until you upgrade some other components as well.]

Sep 16, 2021 5:53 PM in response to magicman1975

magicman1975 wrote:

Im guessing i won't see much better than what im getting right now over wifi due to my MB specs and also router specs?

As I stated above, using 802.11n which both Your router and computer are capable of doing, you should be able to attain 450 M bits/sec when very close to the Router with no walls or chimney in between.

Sep 17, 2021 5:37 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok so its definitely my Linksys router limiting me. I forgot that my modem which is an Arris 1628 i think, also has a built in router, so I bypassed the linksys router and hooked up to the modem through it's own wifi, and i get 200mbps with it! whether im on my iPhone or my MacBook pro. So the computer can definitely get the speed, but the linksys router for some reason is bottlenecking the data or it's just not handling it.

Either way, I guess ill just continue to use the Arris instead

Macbook pro late 2013 Wifi speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.