Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware Horizon on macOS 11.6

After updating to macOS 11.6 today, VMware Horizon for Mac (2106) no longer connects to the remote desktop I usually use.  It says "Desktop or application not available".  That connection normally launches a Remote Desktop Connection app (not sure of the exact name).

Another application icon in the VMware window (that I normally don't use) still works.

I suspect the macOS update deleted something important.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 15, 2021 9:15 PM

4 replies

Sep 17, 2021 6:21 AM in response to Gerry Pelletier

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities Gerry Pelletier,

Thank you for contacting us. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist you. We understand you're having an issue with an application opening after the update. We can understand why you’d reach out for a solution."Starting with macOS 11, if third-party kernel extensions (kexts) are enabled, they can’t be loaded into the kernel on demand. They require the user’s approval and restarting of the macOS to load the changes into the kernel, and they also require that the secure boot be configured to Reduced Security." We have included links to better understand how to reduce the security on start up.  

Kernel extensions in macOS

Startup Disk security policy control for a Mac with Apple silicon

Enterprise management of legacy system extensions in macOS Big Sur

If you have additional questions, please reach back out so we can continue to assist.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Best regards.

VMware Horizon on macOS 11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.