Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina security Update

Apple's website says there's a "Security Update 2021-005 Catalina", but there's no link or info on how to access it. Can anybody lead me to the link please? I don't want Big Sur. Don't like it! Thanks in advance.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 9:57 AM

Pixalot wrote:

Apple's website says there's a "Security Update 2021-005 Catalina", but there's no link or info on how to access it. Can anybody lead me to the link please? I don't want Big Sur. Don't like it! Thanks in advance.

If you are running Catalina you do not have to upgrade to Big Sur unless you want to. Catalina is still supported and will continue to be supported for some time. Apple generally supports each release of macOS until 2 additional releases have occurred; since Apple generally releases a new version of macOS each fall, it would seem that Catalina will continue to be supported with updates until the fall of 2022 (Monterey being released fall 2021, some other release fall 2022).

To get any available Catalina updates, go to System Preferences > Software Update. In that window click the small text that says "Other Updates are available. More info ..." and you will get another window, where you can install any available Catalina updates (and any other updates that also appear there; this often where Safari updates appear).

If you want to see screenshots of this procedure, see my response in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253141197

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Pixalot

Pixalot wrote:

If you are running Catalina you do not have to upgrade to Big Sur unless you want to. Catalina is still supported and will continue to be supported for some time. Apple generally supports each release of macOS until 2 additional releases have occurred; since Apple generally releases a new version of macOS each fall, it would seem that Catalina will continue to be supported with updates until the fall of 2022 (Monterey being released fall 2021, some other release fall 2022).

To get any available Catalina updates, go to System Preferences > Software Update. In that window click the small text that says "Other Updates are available. More info ..." and you will get another window, where you can install any available Catalina updates (and any other updates that also appear there; this often where Safari updates appear).

If you want to see screenshots of this procedure, see my response in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253141197

Catalina security Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.