Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore device at IOS 15 from device at IOS 14.8, without updating IOS on older device

If I purchase an iPad mini 6 with IOS 15 installed, can I restore the mini 6 with an iTunes backup for a device at IOS 14.8, without updating the device to IOS 15? If so, how?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 12:03 PM

The rule is:

You can restore data from a backup created with the same iOS/iPadOS version (or earlier) running on the destination device (NOT VICEVERSA).

So, the answer is yes, you can.

Regards

Giulio

4 replies

Sep 16, 2021 12:59 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Thanks for the quick response. Just to be sure I understood you correctly, if I get a new device (iPad) with iPadOS 15 and set it up/restore it from a iPad device backup based on iPadOS 14.8, I won't get an error message telling me the two devices are not compatible for the restore.

And as a follow up, if the new iPad (iPadOS 15) is restored from an iPhone (IOS 14.8), I won't have an issue restoring the new device from the old backup. This is what I am actually hoping to accomplish.

How to restore device at IOS 15 from device at IOS 14.8, without updating IOS on older device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.