Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook won't recognize my external monitor

My vga to thunderbolt adapter works fine with my 2013 MacBook but when I plug into my 2020 MacBook using a thunderbolt 2 to usb-c adaptor my computer won’t recognize my external monitor. So I need an updated adapter or something?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 8:39 PM

Your old adapter is Mini DisplayPort to VGA, not Thunderbolt to VGA. It works with your 2013 laptop because computer Thunderbolt/2 ports are compatible with Mini DisplayPort. The Thunderbolt 3 adapter is not.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

"This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, such as the Apple LED Cinema Display. Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort, though the ports have the same shape."

You need a USB-C to VGA adapter, such as:

https://www.startech.com/audio-video-products/cdp2vga

"Thunderbolt 3 port compatible"

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 8:39 PM in response to c skreet

Your old adapter is Mini DisplayPort to VGA, not Thunderbolt to VGA. It works with your 2013 laptop because computer Thunderbolt/2 ports are compatible with Mini DisplayPort. The Thunderbolt 3 adapter is not.

About the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple Support

"This adapter is not compatible with displays that use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort, such as the Apple LED Cinema Display. Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 are not the same as Mini DisplayPort, though the ports have the same shape."

You need a USB-C to VGA adapter, such as:

https://www.startech.com/audio-video-products/cdp2vga

"Thunderbolt 3 port compatible"

My MacBook won't recognize my external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.