Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting MacBook pro 2019 to a external monitor

My macbook pro 2019 is not recognizing my external monitor when I plug it in. I am using an adaptor.

When I go to displays it does not recognize that another on is plugged in

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 10:42 AM

Confusing terminology, but the Lightning Connector is what's used by iPhones. That lightning bolt signifies a Thunderbolt connection, in this case you have Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Since your display is a Dell, I presume it's not a Thunderbolt 2 display but rather you have connected a mini-DisplayPort plug.

Thunderbolt 3 is the same plug as USB-C, and the TB3 ports on your Mac are fully compatible with USB-C. Thunderbolt 2 is the same plug as mini-DisplayPort, and while if you have an older Mac with a TB2 port you can directly connect a mini-DP cable, that does not work with the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (but you could use that adapter to connect Apple's Thunderbolt Display, for example).

Instead, what you need is a USB-C-to-miniDP adapter. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Adapter-Feovino-Thunderbolt-MacBook/dp/B07JGCK58M/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 10:42 AM in response to sjensen10

Confusing terminology, but the Lightning Connector is what's used by iPhones. That lightning bolt signifies a Thunderbolt connection, in this case you have Apple's Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Since your display is a Dell, I presume it's not a Thunderbolt 2 display but rather you have connected a mini-DisplayPort plug.

Thunderbolt 3 is the same plug as USB-C, and the TB3 ports on your Mac are fully compatible with USB-C. Thunderbolt 2 is the same plug as mini-DisplayPort, and while if you have an older Mac with a TB2 port you can directly connect a mini-DP cable, that does not work with the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (but you could use that adapter to connect Apple's Thunderbolt Display, for example).

Instead, what you need is a USB-C-to-miniDP adapter. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Adapter-Feovino-Thunderbolt-MacBook/dp/B07JGCK58M/

Connecting MacBook pro 2019 to a external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.