Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor won't hook up to my 2019 MacBook Pro, but worked fine on my 2014 MacBook Pro.

Why?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 1:34 AM

Not sure and it is hard to tell without knowing the specifics. Your 2019 MacBook Pro has Thunderbolt 3 ports while your 2014 MacBook Pro does not. You will need to match the output port from your 2019 MacBook Pro to the input port of your external monitor. In other words, an adapter may be needed to connect USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to HDMI (External Monitor).

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2021 1:34 AM in response to brown_elvis

Not sure and it is hard to tell without knowing the specifics. Your 2019 MacBook Pro has Thunderbolt 3 ports while your 2014 MacBook Pro does not. You will need to match the output port from your 2019 MacBook Pro to the input port of your external monitor. In other words, an adapter may be needed to connect USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to HDMI (External Monitor).

Axel F.

External Monitor won't hook up to my 2019 MacBook Pro, but worked fine on my 2014 MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.