Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina

I've tried to follow instructions to downgrade my macOS. When I go to reinstall, the only option it gives me is to reinstall macOS Big Sur. How can I get back to Catalina?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2021 5:06 PM

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version

Other option and understand - the below option will Destroy ALL DATA on the drive. There are No Do Overs - period.

USB Installation & Wipe and Install

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer. This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Special Notation - works on Intel Based Apple Computers & May on Apple Silicon M1 CPU

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID / T2 Chip equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2021 5:06 PM in response to thepuppetman

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version

Other option and understand - the below option will Destroy ALL DATA on the drive. There are No Do Overs - period.

USB Installation & Wipe and Install

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer. This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Special Notation - works on Intel Based Apple Computers & May on Apple Silicon M1 CPU

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID / T2 Chip equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.