How do I downgrade MacBook to Catalina from Big Sur.

I’ve got an older refurbished MacBook with SSD it was sold with Catalina but I upgraded to Big Sur and it’s slowed it down really badly takes ages to startup I can’t use Logic Pro it won’t even play two notes I bought the MacBook to use Logic. I tried downloading Catalina but it’s says the copy is too old. How can I get back to Catalina? Thanks.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2023 9:42 AM

7Richard7 wrote:

I’ve got an older refurbished MacBook with SSD it was sold with Catalina but I upgraded to Big Sur and it’s slowed it down really badly takes ages to startup I can’t use Logic Pro it won’t even play two notes I bought the MacBook to use Logic. I tried downloading Catalina but it’s says the copy is too old. How can I get back to Catalina? Thanks.

You have to completely erase,reformat, initialize the parent drive as new and then install the older macOS to go backwards

ref: Apple— Restore Shipping Software

From Internet Recovery..

https://www.macworld.com/article/673171/how-to-install-older-versions-of-macos-or-os-x.html

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2023 9:42 AM in response to 7Richard7

7Richard7 wrote:

You have to completely erase,reformat, initialize the parent drive as new and then install the older macOS to go backwards

ref: Apple— Restore Shipping Software

From Internet Recovery..

https://www.macworld.com/article/673171/how-to-install-older-versions-of-macos-or-os-x.html

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Sep 20, 2023 9:44 AM in response to 7Richard7

¿what is the date of your most recent backup, and by what method?

the only way to ge backward is to completely erase all traces of the old version of MacOS. then the shipped-in-the box version can be mantled, then the version you wish can be installed.

Other users are not seeing slowdowns caused by updating macOS versions alone. There must be something else you are running as well that is causing the slowness.

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners. or a VPN that you installed yourself.

¿do you have any of those installed?

Sep 21, 2023 7:46 AM in response to 7Richard7

I never suggested you should pay anything.

what I have been trying to suggest is that the MacOS version you are currently running is NOT punishing. Users do not complain that it is more demanding that the ones right before or right after.

I use a 2010 Mac Pro with four processors, and running MacOS 11 Big Sur without issues. it is NOT slow.

There is no need to work hard to get a previous version. Apply your energy to get the version you have running properly, and live happily ever after.

How do I downgrade MacBook to Catalina from Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.