Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen display does not show on external screen

I connected a external monitor on my MacBook Air. The backdrop appeared but not my desktop?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 3:38 AM

What do you want to achieve? Go to "System preferences" --> "Displays" for #1 and #2 scenarios.

1. Extended display (like you have extra canvas -- therefore, your desktop display will be MacBook Air). You also have options to set up the orientation of the 2 monitors (MBA and extended display) by dragging the 2 displays for their actual placement.
  2. Mirror display -- then you have to check the box "mirror..." and the external display will be the same as MBA display. However, it will take the lower resolution of either monitor (MBA or external monitor)
  3. Clam Shell Mode -- you have to

a. connect MBA to power adapter and turn on, with monitor open

b. have external keyboard and mouse (wired or wireless)

c. connect to the external monitor

d. then physically close down MBA's monitor/lid --> you now only have external monitor as 1 monitor and

MBA acts like a desktop.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 3:38 AM in response to DsJohan

What do you want to achieve? Go to "System preferences" --> "Displays" for #1 and #2 scenarios.

1. Extended display (like you have extra canvas -- therefore, your desktop display will be MacBook Air). You also have options to set up the orientation of the 2 monitors (MBA and extended display) by dragging the 2 displays for their actual placement.
  2. Mirror display -- then you have to check the box "mirror..." and the external display will be the same as MBA display. However, it will take the lower resolution of either monitor (MBA or external monitor)
  3. Clam Shell Mode -- you have to

a. connect MBA to power adapter and turn on, with monitor open

b. have external keyboard and mouse (wired or wireless)

c. connect to the external monitor

d. then physically close down MBA's monitor/lid --> you now only have external monitor as 1 monitor and

MBA acts like a desktop.

My screen display does not show on external screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.