Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dark mode on my MacBook didn't work

Yesterday I downloaded a dark mode app in App Store , because I want my safari turn into black but I don't like it very much so I deleted it. After I deleted that app, the dark mode on system preference didn't work at all . I don't know what happened. I tried to restart and update but it still didn't work.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 1:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 6:02 AM

evon80 wrote:

First : I downloaded this two applications

Second : Because Mac already have dark mode so I want to find a dark mode application which work on safari too, and then I downloaded this two applications but its hard to use and it didn't work so I deleted them.
After that, my Mac's didn't turn into dark mode anymore, I am not sure why. Even in the 'Genereal' Setting was select dark mode, but it didn't work.

Safari, like any other properly programmed application, does not need any extra application to work in Dark Mode... so I think what you were trying to say is some plugin that might change the display of websites with a dark "style". Each website is programmed the way it is, with stuff like CSS determining its looks.

For example, this website of Apple discussions forum we're at: it is programmed to write dark text on whitish background.

Dark Mode does not change that - nor, IMHO, it should.

Regarding the things you downloaded:

"Dark Night" and "Night Owl" seem to be two little applications that make it easy to switch between Dark and Light Mode.

They both seem to be rather small applications.

It is hard to see what they might do to harm, given that it is so easy to change between modes without any extra application. I switch between Dark and Light Mode at the press of a key - and have not installed anything. Once this situation is sorted, I will tell you how you can do it. It is surprisingly easy.

For the moment, we need more information to assess what may be wrong.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 6:02 AM in response to evon80

evon80 wrote:

Second : Because Mac already have dark mode so I want to find a dark mode application which work on safari too, and then I downloaded this two applications but its hard to use and it didn't work so I deleted them.
After that, my Mac's didn't turn into dark mode anymore, I am not sure why. Even in the 'Genereal' Setting was select dark mode, but it didn't work.

Safari, like any other properly programmed application, does not need any extra application to work in Dark Mode... so I think what you were trying to say is some plugin that might change the display of websites with a dark "style". Each website is programmed the way it is, with stuff like CSS determining its looks.

For example, this website of Apple discussions forum we're at: it is programmed to write dark text on whitish background.

Dark Mode does not change that - nor, IMHO, it should.

Regarding the things you downloaded:

"Dark Night" and "Night Owl" seem to be two little applications that make it easy to switch between Dark and Light Mode.

They both seem to be rather small applications.

It is hard to see what they might do to harm, given that it is so easy to change between modes without any extra application. I switch between Dark and Light Mode at the press of a key - and have not installed anything. Once this situation is sorted, I will tell you how you can do it. It is surprisingly easy.

For the moment, we need more information to assess what may be wrong.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Sep 18, 2021 2:19 AM in response to evon80

@ Luis S. is spot on and Seriously suggest following the advise provided. The system is seriously compromised.

A possible solution is below.

Be aware - this will Wipe the Entire Drive of everything and there is No Recovery of any and all Data - period.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer. This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer  >> Special Notation - works on Intel Based Apple Computers & May on Apple Silicon M1 CPU

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

>>>>>> Not to Use Migration Assist to restore the drive once the OS is installed. This will only Re-Introduce the existing problems back into the Virgin Installation of Big Sur <<<<<<

Sep 17, 2021 10:46 AM in response to PRP_53

The OP had posted links to the applications, but those links were removed by the moderators.

The applications in question were mentioned in my post above (just because I happened to see the links before they were removed). They were "Night Owl" and "Dark Night".

Their main purpose, AFAICT, is to provide quick ways to switch between Dark and Light.

I do this (essentially only to test things for this forum) with a single keyboard shortcut, but I understand that not everyone would know that.

For the record, here is how I do it:

1) I have one very simple Automator "Quick Action" - it only has ONE thing in it:

2) I added a keyboard shortcut for it in System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->Services

3) There is no step 3 :-)

Sep 17, 2021 2:22 AM in response to evon80

First: what application was it exactly?

Second: can you explain why you wanted an application for it? Were you trying to use only Safari in Dark Mode and at the same time NOT use Dark Mode for other applications? Please clarify.

At this point I wonder if that application you installed did something fishy.

I would try resetting NVRAM and seeing if that helps.

Also, always a good idea to restart in Safe Mode, and then restart again.

Do things work correctly in Safe Mode? Do they still work correctly after restarting?

Sep 17, 2021 4:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I tried the safe mode ,then my Mac appeared ' safe boot' in red at top right corner

what is that mean?

Things do not correctly in safe mode as well

They still can't work after restart

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Sep 17, 2021 10:48 AM in response to evon80

You seem to have quite a bit of adware:

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.4TXF7.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/w8HLR/FygkA
    Details: Domain name invalid - possibly adware

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.r9InJ.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/UNDRN/1cg42

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Ph86f.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/search.amp/0SK92

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.dumontite-recoiler.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/outawe-harbergage/SzQbhfKm/lrUMezZR/QamBfQAO/dumontite-recoiler

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.5cA2L.plist
    Executable: ~/Library/3HvPU/NADCd

Rerun Etrecheck and follow the instructions for removal.

Then restart your mac, and see how things go.

If problems persist, please run Etrecheck once more and post the new report.

Sep 18, 2021 2:04 AM in response to evon80

OOOOOOUCHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

You have something much worse than adware!

[Loaded] com.mackeeper.AdwareAnalyzer.AdwareAnalyzerPrivilegedHelper.plist (KROMTECH ALLIANCE CORP. - installed 2018-04-14)

[Loaded] com.mackeeper.MacKeeper.MacKeeperPrivilegedHelper.plist (KROMTECH ALLIANCE CORP. - installed 2018-04-02)

This is blatant malware, fraudulent software. It may have seriously damaged your system.

I would not trust this system.

You will need to do a clean install.

Dark mode on my MacBook didn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.