Related Article: About eSIM on iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPhone 13 have place for a physical SIM Card to be used?

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 6:52 PM

Chattanoogan wrote:

Interesting.

I wonder how the post-delivery activation process works; i.e. at what point does the new phone’s eSIM “go active” …

… as it most likely de-provisions the current phone’s SIM ???

With my current iPhone XS (2018) I paid in full but did not arrange service with the order. So it arrived with an un-provisioned nano-SIM. I swapped my nano-SIM from my iPhone 7 into the XS, turned it on and set it up and the service of course transferred to the XS.

I am assuming when I fire up the 13 Pro and complete the welcome/activation process and it connects to AT&T, yes, it will switch my service to the new device and cancel it on the XS. The order information says it will provision the new 13 Pro on my existing service plan (which is an old, grandfathered and no longer offered AT&T plan that I think I’ve had since 2010 or so) and that I will need to contact AT&T for changes. Since I want 5G (coverage in NC triangle area is pretty good) I am assuming I will, after setting up the new device, have to contact AT&T to go to a current, and 5G supported plan.

So I will see next Friday when it arrives. All I know at this point is based on the printed info provided when ordering that my existing plan should be provisioned on the 13 Pro, but will be on the eSIM not a physical nano-SIM.

It’s all fine with me as I knew this order would require me to finally change plans with AT&T, and I don’t care whether eSIM or nano-SIM for service. I will assuredly have to pay more per month for 5G and unlimited data, but I’ve had the same plan for 11 years and odds are they’d eventually make me change anyway. Plus I am using more data nowadays with the permanent work from home situation and changes to how I now work.

Honestly, if the 5G is as good as people I know who use it say it is here, I may use the 13 Pro to decide if it’s time to dump UVerse and go to a MiFi internet plan at home.

So this 13 Pro is kind of my personal experiment for a number of things I plan to try out. Next will be a MacBook Air or mini with the next generation of Apple M-whatever chips to replace my Mac mini (2018 Intel) and old (2015) MacBook Pro.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 6:52 PM in response to Chattanoogan

Chattanoogan wrote:

Interesting.

I wonder how the post-delivery activation process works; i.e. at what point does the new phone’s eSIM “go active” …

… as it most likely de-provisions the current phone’s SIM ???

With my current iPhone XS (2018) I paid in full but did not arrange service with the order. So it arrived with an un-provisioned nano-SIM. I swapped my nano-SIM from my iPhone 7 into the XS, turned it on and set it up and the service of course transferred to the XS.

I am assuming when I fire up the 13 Pro and complete the welcome/activation process and it connects to AT&T, yes, it will switch my service to the new device and cancel it on the XS. The order information says it will provision the new 13 Pro on my existing service plan (which is an old, grandfathered and no longer offered AT&T plan that I think I’ve had since 2010 or so) and that I will need to contact AT&T for changes. Since I want 5G (coverage in NC triangle area is pretty good) I am assuming I will, after setting up the new device, have to contact AT&T to go to a current, and 5G supported plan.

So I will see next Friday when it arrives. All I know at this point is based on the printed info provided when ordering that my existing plan should be provisioned on the 13 Pro, but will be on the eSIM not a physical nano-SIM.

It’s all fine with me as I knew this order would require me to finally change plans with AT&T, and I don’t care whether eSIM or nano-SIM for service. I will assuredly have to pay more per month for 5G and unlimited data, but I’ve had the same plan for 11 years and odds are they’d eventually make me change anyway. Plus I am using more data nowadays with the permanent work from home situation and changes to how I now work.

Honestly, if the 5G is as good as people I know who use it say it is here, I may use the 13 Pro to decide if it’s time to dump UVerse and go to a MiFi internet plan at home.

So this 13 Pro is kind of my personal experiment for a number of things I plan to try out. Next will be a MacBook Air or mini with the next generation of Apple M-whatever chips to replace my Mac mini (2018 Intel) and old (2015) MacBook Pro.

Sep 17, 2021 8:31 PM in response to Michael Black

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

My own recent experience “migrating” an eSIM profile - w/ T-Mobile - from an Xs to a 12 Pro is provided only as “one user’s recent experience.” :

I used Apple’s iPhone migration assistant.

All seemed to go well. The T-Mo “data plan” (how an eSIM profile is referred-to in Settings) showed-up on the 12 Pro as expected.

Note: The Xs is still a working T-Mo phone at this point.

The 12 Pro then presented a message to “Approve transfer of number using ‘old’ phone” (or similar wording to that effect).

Back on the Xs - which is STILL a working T-Mo number at this point - I searched in vain for any opportunity to “approve” the move.

Finding none, I elected to “Remove this Data Plan” — knowing it would de-provision the Xs’ eSIM; but “hoping” that doing so might prompt the move.

Well … the “removal” from the Xs worked … but it didn’t cause the number to transfer or the 12 Pro’s eSIM to provision.

So I’m now holding 2x SIM-less iPhones. 😕

A phone call to T-Mo - using a 3rd iPhone - rectified the matter in short order and the 12 Pro provisioned OTA w/o any issue.

Not sure what went awry with the automated eSIM migration; although I suspect an issue within T-Mo’s OTA eSIM provisioning system.

YMMV; although I would suggest having a 3rd phone w/ a 2nd line readily available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.