Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't save documents in Word

I am using Microsoft Word for Mac, Version 16.53 under a Microsoft 365 Subscription good for 5 users. As of a couple of days ago, I am unable to move or save a file to any of the locations I normally use: documents folder on mac and locations in Dropbox. No locations are visible in the Move Location box and the only options offered to add are SharePoint, OneDrive and OneDrive for business.

Excel is suddenly working the same way.

What suggestions do any of you have for bringing my old, familiar locations back? I do not use either SharePoint or OneDrive.

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 9:53 AM

sbf907 wrote:

I am using Microsoft Word for Mac, Version 16.53 under a Microsoft 365 Subscription good for 5 users. As of a couple of days ago, I am unable to move or save a file to any of the locations I normally use: documents folder on mac and locations in Dropbox. No locations are visible in the Move Location box and the only options offered to add are SharePoint, OneDrive and OneDrive for business.

What suggestions do any of you have for bringing my old, familiar locations back? I do not use either SharePoint or OneDrive.

Big Sur compatibility—Microsoft recently announced that it was officially ending support for Office 2016 for Mac on October 13, 2020. Apple Silicon compatibility in Office 2016 is questionable. Office 2019 no issues.

The current Office for Mac; Office 365 or Office 2019 (One-time purchase) are OK with Catalina/Big Sur

To activate a Microsoft Office 365 subscription you simply enter the email address you used when you extended the subscription with Microsoft.

search Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility—

Microsoft Support

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 9:53 AM in response to sbf907

sbf907 wrote:

Big Sur compatibility—Microsoft recently announced that it was officially ending support for Office 2016 for Mac on October 13, 2020. Apple Silicon compatibility in Office 2016 is questionable. Office 2019 no issues.

The current Office for Mac; Office 365 or Office 2019 (One-time purchase) are OK with Catalina/Big Sur

To activate a Microsoft Office 365 subscription you simply enter the email address you used when you extended the subscription with Microsoft.

search Support/Help/FAQ/Known issues/compatibility—

Microsoft Support

Microsoft Corporation/Customer service

1 (800) 642-7676

Sep 23, 2021 4:17 PM in response to leroydouglas

I have the same problem with Autosave to SharePoint document repositories that are connected to my Mac.

I don't understand the answer above. As of today, the latest version of Office for Mac is Version 16.53 (21091200). My Office is updated auto on the regular channel.

This only started happening after I upgraded OSX to Version: 11.6 (20G165) on last Wednesday.

Two additional things I noticed.

1. There is a temp file created in the same folder as the Word document. It has the filename structure of ~$filename.tmp
  2. Autosave is working when saving to personal OneDrive.

Sep 23, 2021 6:56 PM in response to NagoyaPeter

What I figured out is that the move function is now done under the “Save As” option. There I can change the location for a document and am not limited toMicrosoft’s online options.

It looks like the document is being duplicated instead of moved when I do this, though.

This wasn’t broken prior to the upgrade, you’re right.

Can't save documents in Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.