Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer a Time Machine backup from Time Capsule to a USB Disk?

I finally decided to replace my Time Capsule given its age and lack of continued development. I have been using the Time Capsule as a Time Machine target for a MacBook Pro running Big Sur. I have a new USB3 external hard drive that I'd like to use as my new Time Machine backup disk, but I'd like to retain my backup history from the Time Capsule. I spent 5 hours copying my .bundlespare file from the Time Capsule to the drive, only for the Time Machine preferences requiring me to format/erase the drive in order to select it for use. Does anyone know a path forward here?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 10:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 2:26 PM

This may be helpful: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/types-of-disks-you-can-use-with-time-machine-mh15139/mac

Can you even combine the bundles from the Time Capsule with the future backups using HFS+ or APFS? The requirement for reformatting appears to only be for APFS. Could you partition the new disk to keep your old data in a volume and then add a new volume (HFS+ only??) for the ongoing backups. But APFS is apparently preferred as a format for TM.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 2:26 PM in response to dahveed311

This may be helpful: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/types-of-disks-you-can-use-with-time-machine-mh15139/mac

Can you even combine the bundles from the Time Capsule with the future backups using HFS+ or APFS? The requirement for reformatting appears to only be for APFS. Could you partition the new disk to keep your old data in a volume and then add a new volume (HFS+ only??) for the ongoing backups. But APFS is apparently preferred as a format for TM.

How do I transfer a Time Machine backup from Time Capsule to a USB Disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.