Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone tried to log in my Apple ID

Hello,

today, i was playing a game on my PC and suddenly I recieved a notification on my Apple Watch and iPhone that someone tried to log into my Apple ID from a place far away from me. I tapped Don't allow of course, and changed the password. Now I have a very strong password, but im still scared. Can someone hack my Apple ID again or has someone hacked my Apple ID? Now I have password that I never used before and it's very strong, so should I be worried or can I relax now?

I really need some answer and honest advice.

Thank you!!!

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 2:36 PM

Nobody can give you certainty here, as there are a lot of possibilities.

This all depends on what happened here...

Fake failure notifications and fake purchase notifications are common, and clicking on a link provided in the notifications can take the user to a fake "Apple login portal", where you can hand your Apple ID credentials to the scammer.

What Apple writes about this: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Depending on exactly what you were doing, the notification might have been triggered by you, based on something you just did.

Confusingly, IP geolocations are best considered "correct" if they're within the same country.

Here's a recent discussion of geolocation and of browser user agent strings:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253154661?answerId=255908905022#255908905022

What to do? You'll want to have two-factor authentication enabled as well. Two-factor is a last-chance additional-factor means to block a login from somebody that has your Apple ID and password.

On your iPhone, have a look at the Apple-generated security report, and see if there are other issues with your passwords. Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations

Make sure you have backups of your iPhone, and of all data you value.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 2:36 PM in response to strki

Nobody can give you certainty here, as there are a lot of possibilities.

This all depends on what happened here...

Fake failure notifications and fake purchase notifications are common, and clicking on a link provided in the notifications can take the user to a fake "Apple login portal", where you can hand your Apple ID credentials to the scammer.

What Apple writes about this: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Depending on exactly what you were doing, the notification might have been triggered by you, based on something you just did.

Confusingly, IP geolocations are best considered "correct" if they're within the same country.

Here's a recent discussion of geolocation and of browser user agent strings:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253154661?answerId=255908905022#255908905022

What to do? You'll want to have two-factor authentication enabled as well. Two-factor is a last-chance additional-factor means to block a login from somebody that has your Apple ID and password.

On your iPhone, have a look at the Apple-generated security report, and see if there are other issues with your passwords. Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations

Make sure you have backups of your iPhone, and of all data you value.

Someone tried to log in my Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.