Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to trade in old iphone for refurbished iphone with data transfer

Lets say I have an old Iphone that I want to trade in and I want to buy an apple certified Iphone. I don't see any option to trade in on the refurbished page and how can I transfer the data from my old Iphone to the new one if I have send in my old iphone before I receive the new one?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 5:15 PM

You are correct, there is no option to trade-in an iPhone if you are purchasing from an Apple Certified Refurbished iPhone. The Trade-in program works only towards purchasing a new device.

Now, if you are trading in your old iPhone for a new iPhone then you would backup your old iPhone on iCloud and/or a computer. Once you get your new iPhone, then you would restore the new iPhone from that backup file. Here is some more information on ➔ what to do before you sell, trade-in or give away your iPhone.

Axel F.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2021 5:15 PM in response to aaaa41

You are correct, there is no option to trade-in an iPhone if you are purchasing from an Apple Certified Refurbished iPhone. The Trade-in program works only towards purchasing a new device.

Now, if you are trading in your old iPhone for a new iPhone then you would backup your old iPhone on iCloud and/or a computer. Once you get your new iPhone, then you would restore the new iPhone from that backup file. Here is some more information on ➔ what to do before you sell, trade-in or give away your iPhone.

Axel F.

Sep 18, 2021 6:08 PM in response to aaaa41

I am not sure on how to get a gift card value applied to a purchase that has been already made with another payment method. I recommend that you ask this question to Apple directly by either calling them at 1-800-MY-APPLE or by contacting  ➔ Apple Support

If you are referring to a Trade-In credit (not a gift card) then that credit can only be applied toward a purchase of a new device.

Axel F.

Sep 18, 2021 10:58 PM in response to aaaa41

You are correct about the gift card issued after a trade-in without a purchase of any Apple Product at the time. You can then apply this gift card amount toward purchasing Apple merchandise from Apple. This applies to trading-in a device without a purchase of a new device at the same time.

Your question is whether you can use this trade-in credit/gift card to pay for an Apple device that has already been ordered but not shipped yet. I do not know the answer to that. I, therefore, ask you to contact Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE or by contacting ➔ Apple Support

Axel F.

How to trade in old iphone for refurbished iphone with data transfer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.