Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up extended desktop between MacBook Air and imac 24 inch M1

Computer dummy here. Apparently there is no official way of setting up an extended desktop between my MacBook Air 2020 and my new imac 24 inch with M1 chip. I have to wait until they maybe allow this with a new software upgrade. Is anyone aware of a workaround for this? I don't want to do anything complicated. Just want to be working on one thing on one screen, and another thing on the other. I really don't want to have to introduce another generic monitor given I just paid 3K for the imac! Please tell me there's a way!!

iMac 24″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 6:55 AM

As a free option to using multiple monitors, you might check out the multiple desktops feature of Mission Control. It's free and it's already built into the macOS on your computer.

Easily create a second (or third, or fourth) virtual desktop space on your Mac, assign your favorite apps to launch into their own spaces and use each without the clutter of other apps getting in the way. Switch between each app and its own desktop with a swipe on the trackpad or with a keystroke. Eventually you get to wonder why you ever thought you need multiple monitors.

Did I mention that it's free and already built into macOS?

Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support:

click> https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/work-in-multiple-spaces-mh14112/mac

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 6:55 AM in response to keggers78

As a free option to using multiple monitors, you might check out the multiple desktops feature of Mission Control. It's free and it's already built into the macOS on your computer.

Easily create a second (or third, or fourth) virtual desktop space on your Mac, assign your favorite apps to launch into their own spaces and use each without the clutter of other apps getting in the way. Switch between each app and its own desktop with a swipe on the trackpad or with a keystroke. Eventually you get to wonder why you ever thought you need multiple monitors.

Did I mention that it's free and already built into macOS?

Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support:

click> https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/work-in-multiple-spaces-mh14112/mac

Sep 19, 2021 6:10 AM in response to keggers78

I upgraded to an M1 iMac having had a few monitors saved from my Mac Pro over the years. I successfully attached a VGA monitor (1080p) to my iMac using a low cost adapter. So what I’m suggesting is to see if you can source an older monitor and use that, the difference in resolution, for me, isn’t an issue

Setting up extended desktop between MacBook Air and imac 24 inch M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.