Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2015 iMac supports extended desktop but can't be used as an external monitor?

I have search the discussions and articles before asking this. It is clear that my iMac late 2015 can NOT be used as an external monitor for a MacBook. But the tech specs clearly say it supports "extended desktop" which is just that, is it not? This is from Apple:

"Video Support and Camera

• FaceTime HD camera
  • Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to two 4096-by-2160 external displays or one 5120-by-2880 dual-cable external display
  • Support for extended desktop and video mirroring modes"

So it can be transmit to two other displays - that's is clear, but the last line suggests it should be able to be used as a display.

Some mentioned setting up a virtual network as a work around I welcome's all advice. My iMac has Mojave, but I can go back to a prior OS if needed. I am looking to purchase a newer MacBook so i can get "2 for one" but using my iMac as a display for a bigger desktop type screen when at home. Thanks!!!

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2021 2:25 PM

"Extended desktop" refers to extending the 2015's desktop onto an external monitor (as opposed to screen mirror or using the external monitor as a separate space).

That line does not refer to using the 5K as a display for another computer.

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 12, 2021 3:33 PM in response to den.thed

please carefully read > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Thanks. As noted, I had read all the info (including this article). I just thought there might be a work around as I did NOT understand what "extended desktop" was; I could not find a description of what that meant. It is strange that this ONE model was left without that option when models before AND after support mirroring none fashion or other.

Late 2015 iMac supports extended desktop but can't be used as an external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.