Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with dark mode on the MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Hello everyone! After powering on my computer - Dock wasn't showing on and all was just like on the screenshots. After multiple reloads - Dock is showing as well but everything (background of windows, fonts colors, etc) - have the same look. In light mode all works normally, but in Dark - not. Try to clear ram and vram (with combinations of keys) but its not help me at all. Maybe someone know what to do with this? Thanks.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 8:20 AM

It sounds like something is confusing the OS.

Reboot your Mac and see if the problem is cleared. If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 8:20 AM in response to EugeneDanilov

It sounds like something is confusing the OS.

Reboot your Mac and see if the problem is cleared. If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Sep 22, 2021 4:53 AM in response to EugeneDanilov

I know that CCleaner can be a life saver for Windows users, but the Mac is not Windows.

There is no need to use any "cleaner" of any sort. Some of them should be considered malware.

In any case, they tend to "clean" all too well, i.e. they delete stuff that should be left alone, and that can create all sorts of crashes, instability or bad behavior of your system.

My suspicion is that this may have been the case.

I recommend that you do a full backup, preferably two (I always have Time Machine up to date, and a clone of the system drive in a separate disk).

Then create a bootable installer, erase and install a clean system;

when it asks you migrate, choose "from another mac, drive or Time Machine"; attach your TM drive, but - CRUCIALLY - elect to import only the user accounts.

Sep 22, 2021 10:23 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

CCleaner was installed after this glitch, because i decide, so maybe some sort of software that is running at the startup point is can cause that problem. I don't have any device to create TimeMachine backup and everything in the system works fine, so i don't think that to fix wrong colors i need to clear everything and install from zero. I have important software and data. Don't want to waste time to reinstall all the system for this small purpose. Can I reinstall MacOS without losing any data? Thanks!

Sep 22, 2021 10:48 AM in response to EugeneDanilov

Having a backup is essential to anyone who cares about his or her data.

It is not something that should be left to chance. A hard disk is very inexpensive, and Time Machine is trivial to use.

It can be used to recover a few files, or everything. If you have a Time Machine backup done today you can easily restore to the situation you were in.

All drives will fail, eventually. Your mac may die, and all sorts of things can happen.

Without backups, losing data is a question of when, not if.

Sep 23, 2021 7:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes, i understand, but i don't have any hard-drives (SSD or another) to use them as time-machine capsule. So i cant do any of backups to any other places except my current drive, just because not have, not because don't want to. Only solutions you have - that i need to format my hard drive and reinstall MacOS system? It's sounds not very different from the Windows problems (when you just reinstall the whole system when have difficulties), i see. Anyway, thank you for your interest and spent time. Appreciate that. I thought that maybe Macos have something like repairing system (that can restore all necessary files without full reinstalling).

Problem with dark mode on the MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.