Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time MAchine not configured...

Upon erasing and reformatting a partition in Lacie Porsche backup drive, Time Machine doesn't "see" it. It sees the existent backup of a separate computer/user, but not the "newly" reformatted one.

ON the desktop the "new" partition is shown as an orange disk, the sepate computer/user's as the "usual" green with the 'recycle' arrow on it.

I have used "Option" to open "Browse other backup disks", but only the "green" disk is shown there.

System: iMac 21.5, 2019, using a recently installed SSD as "startup disk/main" - OWC EnvoyPro SX, Big Sur 11.6.

Will appreciate help with this one: thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 10:31 PM

4 Years old is not that old but it's getting there. I would consider reformatting it and starting it over again. Before you do restart the computer in Safe Mode and then restart normally, then reformat the Lacie and see if Time Machine begins working.

7 replies

Sep 20, 2021 10:20 AM in response to rkaufmann87

"R", Thank you!

I did the Safe Mode...must have not done proper sync with the "shift key" pressing...tried twice. Went to next step: Disk Utility erased the main unit holding the partitions. Then worked on making partitions. 2 main partitions and a 3rd., for "JIC", "just in case" small stuff. Well, my math wasn't quite right, so a 4th partition-small- was leftover. This is how it looks. I formatted it in APFS (Case-sensitive) (Ok?), and it is working. Thanks to you!

Question: Does Time Machine back up both Macintosh HD - AND - the external OWC EnvoyPro SX, this last one being used as Startup disk (and main?)...? I had no opportunity to "target" what to back up, the reason for the question. What is left in Macintosh HD after installing the external SSD is small: [1.03 TB - 890.91 GB free]. Do I need to erase that too?

Sorry to ask so many questions...and thank you so much for your expertise and guidance!!!

Time MAchine not configured...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.