Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic mouse 2 moves very slow

Ive set the scrolling speed to maximum and what i observe is that

• When i move my mouse fast then the pointer moves fast as well (expected)
  • When I move my mouse a little slowly the pointer slows down significantly (not expected)

I move the mouse slowly in general and is there a way to increase the scroll speed in this scenario?

Basically, small movements in mouse should result in larger or considerable movements in scroll on the screen.

BTW my trackpad on macbook works perfectly as expected. Only issue is with magic mouse

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 2:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 6:31 AM

Try this as a slow mouse fix. Works perfectly on all five of our Macs.

Address speed setting directly by using command line.

a. Using spotlight search (top right of screen), type in: Terminal and press 'return'.

b. Read - Copy the line following and paste it into Terminal and 'return'. View the tracking speed number returned.

defaults read -g com.apple.mouse.scaling

c. Write - Copy the line following and paste it into Terminal and 'return' (the speed setting will change to that of the number at the end of this line).

defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.scaling 5

3- Test the mouse to see if the track speed has changed. Revisit Terminal, click on it to ensure that you're in Terminal. Then arrow up/down (bottom right of keyboard) to select alternatively the Read and Write commands above. Change the number at the end of the Write line (1-99) and again test the track speed.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 6:31 AM in response to chamy5

Try this as a slow mouse fix. Works perfectly on all five of our Macs.

Address speed setting directly by using command line.

a. Using spotlight search (top right of screen), type in: Terminal and press 'return'.

b. Read - Copy the line following and paste it into Terminal and 'return'. View the tracking speed number returned.

defaults read -g com.apple.mouse.scaling

c. Write - Copy the line following and paste it into Terminal and 'return' (the speed setting will change to that of the number at the end of this line).

defaults write -g com.apple.mouse.scaling 5

3- Test the mouse to see if the track speed has changed. Revisit Terminal, click on it to ensure that you're in Terminal. Then arrow up/down (bottom right of keyboard) to select alternatively the Read and Write commands above. Change the number at the end of the Write line (1-99) and again test the track speed.

Sep 21, 2021 5:23 AM in response to chamy5

Hey there chamy5,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re not seeing the expected changes after adjusting the scrolling speed preferences for your Magic Mouse 2. Have you tried changing the tracking preferences? If not, do that and see if that helps. These articles can provide guidance on how to do this:

Change mouse tracking, double-click, and scrolling speed on Mac

Change Mouse preferences on Mac

We hope this helps. Take care.

Magic mouse 2 moves very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.